KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
For anyone who might be interested in such things...

This is a link to a live bear cam directed toward a female black bear named Jewel. She is preparing to have cubs ..at some point soon. She is in Ely, MN at the North American Bear Center.

I've had this running in the background on my computer for a few days now and have gotten used to the breathing sounds..but you can also hear when she wakes up and moves around.

Just thought I'd share it in case anyone else finds stuff like this interesting :)

btw - it is currently -6 degrees there, and the den is outdoors :(

http://www.bear.org/livecams/jewel-den-cam.php

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Quite a few zoos have these for a variety of animals.

btw - currently her head is tucked under in the middle of the pic. She was awake about an hour ago and was scratching and preening (..if bears preen..lol), and then she went back to sleep...she sleeps a LOT..lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Quite a few zoos have these for a variety of animals.

btw - currently her head is tucked under in the middle of the pic. She was awake about an hour ago and was scratching and preening (..if bears preen..lol), and then she went back to sleep...she sleeps a LOT..lol

Update - she is facing directly at the camera now..best shot I have seen in 2 days! lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Ooo scouting for next year lol.. Just kidding

##$%@ :sigh:

Jewel had her cubs this morning..they aren't sureyet if there are 2 or 3.

They weigh only about a pound each and have no fur when born.
When I last check it was 21 degrees there. Brrrr
Mom keeps them warm by tucking her head down and surrounding them with her Momma bear arms.

If you use the Archive tab (next to the Live Feed tab) you can watch the birth of one of the cubs, though there is nearly nothing to see, you can hear the baby. It is amazing how much they sound like a human infant!

Hoping to get a glimpse of them today! :)

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Kathy,
That was awesome. Funny thing was, I tried to log on this morning, coincidentally, and the camera wasn't working. Did they shut it off during the birth and only captured it on the recording? Either way, great footage and the soundtrack sounds like a human baby!

they couldn't swing a color camera..

cool link Kathy, link to the hawks Russ?

The eagles of Hornby Island.

Russ

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy,
That was awesome. Funny thing was, I tried to log on this morning, coincidentally, and the camera wasn't working. Did they shut it off during the birth and only captured it on the recording? Either way, great footage and the soundtrack sounds like a human baby!

The eagles of Hornby Island.

Russ
Not to my knowledge, they have had it on 24/7 since I started watching.

I know I had it on early this morning but fell back to sleep while I was watching...really, really lousy timing on my part :(

The sounds they make are incredible! I ran my cusor across Jewel before and tried to shake her awake to calm the baby..lol
Now that they are being quiet, I want them to make noise so that I know they are ok!! :p

We need a bear emoticom!

Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
this is so cool.

i recall reading about a family that had set up a live cam of their christmas lights/decorations and for a fee which is donated to a charity, you can turn some lights on and off and see it live. they raised thousands for the charity.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If I do nothing else each day on a regular basis I DO check on 'my' bear to see how the babies are doing every day before I go to work..lol

The cubs were born on 1/22 - so in the next week their eyes will begin to open.

On this link from the other day you can get a great view of the babies!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4p-OtkMk68

This video is long at 13 minutes and is a compliation of what actually goes on in a bear den. They far from spend all of their time asleep!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HozzUJzKo-Q

At 6:21 in you can hear the sounds of 2 baby bears happily nursing. Kinda sounds like wiping a smudge off a window with a wet finger..lol

On previous videos and at times when I am watching them live you can hear peoples voices and traffic but the den is no where near any of that, it's just that the microphone they use is extremely sensitive so they can hear all that is going on - and learn from it.

Again - here is the live link (24/7!) of Jewel's den cam

I love this stuff :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Babies are alone in the den, Mom just went out for a walk..55 degrees there..great view of the babies (who are very unhappy that Mom is not there!)

They are alternating with shots of Mom outside of the den..this is all live .

The long white piece of PVC has the den camera at one end. The also have another camera further away that is showing the Mom (Jewel) outside of the den.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: