Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery wrasse jumped out last night. This had become my favorite fish always so fat and colorful. When I woke up today he was stiff on the carpet. :(

Not much has changed since my last update. I added a new wrasse and a pair of maroon clowns. Ive always liked them and just wanted something hardy. The Ro/DI unit I was using had a short on its controller and stopped making water so now I gotta figure out that. I also had one of my liter meters remote pumps stop a while back and I havent serviced it yet so have been adding CA/ALk by hand. Went on vacation to the BVI to visit my dad and my heating oil ran out at home. I came home to a tank that had been 70-72 F for a few weeks from its usual 78 but it seems all is fine. The one clam I had under the stags died too, it just was getting crowded in by the acros and wasnt getting the light. I couldnt really see the clam anyhow but I wished I got it out before it was trapped in by the acros. Ive been removing sand here and there in W/C although I like the look of CLEAN sand better then BB, my sand never stays white. It always ends up with coating and I dont need the nutrient issues. I finally broke out the hanna P04 meter and tested, was .08 so I changed my GFO and carbon and was down to .04 a few days later. Im not sure how accurate it is at that level anyhow but gives me an idea.

Ill post some new photos soon. I still dont like my aquascape and feel I am not getting the benefit I could/should be with this wide tank. I am thinking of breaking down the aquascape and snapping all the corals off their spots. Then redoing all the scape the way I want it and then re-glueing it all back where I want everything. Id lose the encrusting and set growth back several months as the corals re-encrusted and such but might like my whole tank more if I do this. I did break down the whole left stack and moved some stuff around but it didnt make me any happier with the way the tank looks.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to but wouldnt be much to look at. About a month ago I needed to service my pump 3 on my liter meter. I did an all stop of the pumps for servicing the one, and didn't realize I set the Alk pump for my 2 part to run, the setting where it just runs constantly. I serviced the top off pump took off the all stop and walked away. When I came back several gallons of alk, since of course I just made a fresh batch of two part was added. I had a near complete wipe out of my SPS, and in an atempt to save my chalice collection I moved them to my small nano softy tank and unfortunately they melted away in the week following the accident. Nothing I can do, it was all my fault for not paying attention and rushing my servicing after waiting too long to do it.

So anyhow I still have my satosa, and a few other montis, and the clams lived. All the fish lived too, although I did move some to my nano during the episode. The zoas were fine, and some lps. So I basically pulled the live rock out, chiseled off the sps bases and piled it up. The sps filled several 5 gal buckets.

I am not sure I am going to set the tank back up once I get it completely empty. I have my nano and financially and in a bind so its not time to go nuts. On top of that I am starting to put more of what ever expendable income I have into SCUBA and need (want :wink: ) a new drysuit undergarment. If I don't set back up I will store the tank until I decide I have the time and money to devote to the tank.

I have my JBJ 28 HQI still, and an empty 58 oceanic RR, an empty 24" cube nano, and now my big tank, mostly empty. :cry:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: