blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have some or know where I can get some? Theres this guy saltyunderground.com charging 14 bucks each for them and Im not paying that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inland aquatics. I ordered a breeding pair once. I think they ate 2 or 3 aiptasia before they croaked. I remember them costing a lot more.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn they charge 25 bucks. Thats a lot to pay considering theres things in the average tank that are GUARANTEED to eat nudibranches.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 12 and never saw them again. :( Tried peps too - worked until the wrasse ate them. I'm back to just using kalkwasser paste on a regular basis. Not willing to buy a CBB.

Berghia are never cheap. This is surprising because they are pretty simple to breed. Calfo wrote a good article on the subject.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calfo? Is there a link. The best luck I've had is what I call the suck and release method where I take a siphon hose that drains into a sock into my sump, and I siphone over the aiptasia until it lets go. Unfortunately it takes a long $*% time. Im thinking if I use a larger diameter siphon with a narrow tip it would have more power and take less time.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do peppermints not work for you? They do wonders for my tank. Nudis just die too fast.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":na2dgchw said:
Calfo? Is there a link. The best luck I've had is what I call the suck and release method where I take a siphon hose that drains into a sock into my sump, and I siphone over the aiptasia until it lets go. Unfortunately it takes a long $*% time. Im thinking if I use a larger diameter siphon with a narrow tip it would have more power and take less time.

I'm sure sure your "reverse venturi" thinking is sound?
Perhaps it is...in any case I've never tried this method before...filed.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the Calfo article...http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004- ... /index.php

Here's another useful article on berghia...http://www.reefs.org/library/article/In ... ntrol.html

The hardest thing about breeding is keeping enough aiptasia around to sustain the berghia population. There are a few folks here in my neck of the woods doing it - they are always looking for aiptasia infested rock.

My peps we indeed eating the aiptasia but not as fast as my wrasse was eating the peps. Here's a link that will help you get the right peps...http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inver ... ptasia.htm All 'peppermint shrimp' are not the same.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 2 berghia in my 24G cube and all aiptasia were gone in about 2-3 months. One or two disappeared within the first week, then nothing happened for a month or so. Then the rest disappeared quickly.

I guess they're dead now since there is no aiptasia left. But that's the sacrifice.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried peps but they were all eaten. The first two immediately and the third sometime later. I did not try nudi's, but so far Red Sea Aiptasia X is working very well, much better than kalk paste. Overall I am not a big fan of Red Sea(turbo skimmer sucked), but this mixture seems to work wonders. So far none of the anemones have returned, Joe's juice candidates half returned.

jlneng

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a 180 reef and was having problems with aiptasia outbreaks. Too many hard to reach places for kalk or joe's juice. I added 200$ worth of berghia. It took awhile but all visible aiptasia in the tank are gone. After 2 years my tank still is free of aiptasia, but I still spot a berghia once in awhile. My sump still has aiptasia in it. I am hoping the berghia will spread to my sump. I am sure that there are still some aiptasia in the tank, because there are still berghia in there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them in the past, I recall they bred easily and had the cutest, little, bebes! :D

However, they were overwhelmed by currents in my tank and sump, and I believe they gradually succumbed to the internal workings of my in line pump.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I take back whatever I have said about peps not eatting corals, I got three a few weeks ago and after they cleaned up the aiptasia in my frag tank they went nuts over my xenia I grow in there for nutrient export, of course now I have tiny xenias all over the frag tank. I never tried Berghia's becasue of my flow, I never thought they would make it. I did try some lettuce nudis in my sons tank to eat his byropsis and they seem to still be alive in there, but so is the byropsis.

If you try the berghias let me know how that goes. I tryed using Red Sea's Aiptasia-X and although they disappeared a million tiny ones reappeared every time. I threw the coral eatting peps in the main tank anyway since I am breaking it down in a few weeks anyhow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: