pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hi All

Ran a CPR Aeroforce HOB skimmer off the side of my sump for years on my 65 gal.

Now I have a 90 gallon but the same sump which doesn't really have the real estate for an in-sump skimmer. My refugium & PO4 reactor are already taking up a lot of room.

What's a really good HOB skimmer that is rated for a 90 gal?

Thanks!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Looking at the Octopus BH2000 but wondered what others think.

If the refugium is taking up your sump space I would either get another sump that could house a skimmer and your fuge, or just ditch the fuge and keep that space for a skimmer. I think a reef octopus sro 2000 would do just fine. It certainly would remove much more organics than a refugium.

I'm sorry that I couldn't suggest a good hang on for you, I just haven't seen one that i would use on a 90gal.

Last edited:

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Do you have a sump? I'm not sure based on your post. If so, I'd definitely recommend an in-sump skimmer.

Yes I do and kept it when I moved to the 90. It takes up a little more than half of my cabinet space at 25" long x 13.75" deep x 13.75" tall. I bought the sump years ago..not something I built and don't remember brand but was fairly expensive if I recall.

I said refugium but no more than live rock, chaeto and some critters...than I have my PO4 in the middle chamber with my existing aero skimmer hanging outside of the return end of the sump.

See pics below. Any advice appreciated.

2013-02-11_20-43-56_74.jpg

2013-02-11_20-44-09_959.jpg

2013-02-11_20-44-29_894.jpg

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea as rich said i would not do a HOB skimmer for your size tank. I would incorporate a new sump that gives you space for a fuge, skimmer, bubble baffles, and a return. and also why is the phosban reactor on the inside of the sump.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i was not asking if it mattered or not but looking to give him a hand and make some more space. he might have room on the opposite side of the sump. if he gets rid of that hob skimmer he has there and that plastic bin full of stuff, he can make his own sump that will work in achieving a sump with space for a great skimmer :)

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yea as rich said i would not do a HOB skimmer for your size tank. I would incorporate a new sump that gives you space for a fuge, skimmer, bubble baffles, and a return. and also why is the phosban reactor on the inside of the sump.

Does that matter? It's in the sump so that if it leaks it will leak into the sump and not my cabinet.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i was not asking if it mattered or not but looking to give him a hand and make some more space. he might have room on the opposite side of the sump. if he gets rid of that hob skimmer he has there and that plastic bin full of stuff, he can make his own sump that will work in achieving a sump with space for a great skimmer :)

I'm fairly handy but with a newborn to look after now I don't have the time to build a sump. I really would like to have tried to improve my skimmer situation with the sump I have.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
looking to make some space for you... but even though ive had phosban reactors for years and years and not 1 has leaked on me. anywhos as i said your best bet is to make your own sump and designate an area for a drain/skimmer, fuge and a return. and stop worrying about the phosban reactor leaking they are built well :)..

honestly there is no HOB skimmers that will handle your tank. whenever the baby is sleeping install another piece of glass in your custom sump its really not that hard or message Rkaragozler on the site, he can build one for you. all you got to do is tell him the dimensions.

just trying to give you some options that will work for the tank rather then you spending (wasting) money on a HOB that will not do its job for your size tank.

Last edited:

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

:) Plus I need my "plastic bin of stuff" as I'm running out of room to put it. All of this is in our dining room which is the wife's territory as much as mine and she's a neat freak.

90galreef.jpg

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
looking to make some space for you... but even though ive had phosban reactors for years and years and not 1 has leaked on me. anywhos as i said your best bet is to make your own sump and designate an area for a drain/skimmer, fuge and a return. and stop worrying about the phosban reactor leaking they are built well :)..

Thanks for making the effort I do appreciate it. Would an better intank skimmer fit on the left side if I remove all the rock? Or the middle if I put the reactor outside the sump where the hob is now?

Thanks again.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
If it were my tank, I would just clear out everything in that sump, and use the space made for a skimmer. I'm sure you can find a spot for the phosphate reactor somewhere.

An SRO (Super Reef Octopus) XP-2000 or 2000int would be great.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
PJ we need dimension of those areas to recommend a skimmer that will work for you... i understand but you have 2 tanks in the dining room.... My wife would kill me :lol2:

Difficult to give dimensions apart from the external ones I gave...acrylic shelf on left blocks some of left chamber, plumbing blocks some of middle and right chamber is very narrow.

I'll try to come up with something later.

:) My wife is actually a big fan of my hobby and loves the tanks. I'm breaking down that cube right now to sell it. Anyone looking for a clownfish?

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
If it were my tank, I would just clear out everything in that sump, and use the space made for a skimmer. I'm sure you can find a spot for the phosphate reactor somewhere.

An SRO (Super Reef Octopus) XP-2000 or 2000int would be great.

I'll look into both of those. Thanks!

Update: Wow, little pricey but I'm expecting to have to spend. Would like to see if I can come down into the $350-400 range.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I think the 2000int can be found for close to $400.

I'm not sure of skimmer and sump dimensions, but I used to have a 90 gallon (and changed skimmers a bit :D) and will throw out some reliable options...

In no particular order...

-i-Tech 200.
-Vertex Omega
-Vertex in-100 (you need to upgrade the pump to a Tunze hydrofoamer, though).
-Used ATB 840.
-Warner Marine MF-161
-JNS or Aquamaxx

There are a couple others, like the Sea Side Aquatics, and some of the newer Bubble Magus (try to stay away from the Atman pumps).

Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: