bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
I just got my Quuens Public Library card so that I can borrow e-books from their collection but I have to activate it in person at a QPL branch. Since I am making the trip into Queens, I might as well kill two birds with one stone so I ask the following question: what is the best LFS in Queens and what library is nearby? Thx.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
So, I went and got my Queens Public Library card validated and also went to both of the recommended LFSs. First, I really liked Fishtown - spacious, clean, helpful staff, large selection and good prices. On the other hand, I found Kissena Aquarium to be the complete opposite in almost every way. First, I got a definite "you're not welcome here" vibe - I was there 10 minutes and not only couldn't a get an answer to a simple yes/no question but I couldn't even get anyone to acknowledge my presence so I walked out without buying anything and will never go back. Obviously, not everyone has the same opinion - I am just relating my experience.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
i went to kissena and got the same vibe so your not alone.im not sure if the place on northern blvd right off from kissena is still open but i dealt with them alot...they had some really nice stuff i couldnt find anywhere else.not so much of a large selection but very unique stuff

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea at first kissena aquarium was a bit annoying to me, but they did step up their coral game last time I was there, around 5 months ago, had a lot of nice frags for cheap!

Theyre not that friendly but if you just brush it off they have some good finds. You can always bargain with them too, unlike fish town who still rarely discounts even though I've been going there for a decade.

Fish town also got a lot better though, mainly due to firing this one d-bag I think, and ever since they've been alot more helpful (than before). So cheers to both of these stores in Queens. Northern aquarium should get some more corals IMO.

Has anyone been to Kissena lately? (Lookin 4 a clam and small acan colonies)

RajDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Just went to Kissena Aquarium for the first time. Will def be back for coral. Some really good deals IMO on frags. Fish prices were a bit high. With so few options in Queens this might be the best one for coral.

BriankimNYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Wow, I can't believe people are still going to Kissena and Fishtown when there are so many other alternatives. If you are looking for great deals on fish try Jerry at KHC Aquariums. For Corals, try New York Reef Aquatics.
Here are some pictures, btw....say Brian sent you and they should give you 5% off on your first purchase.

Attachments

• 20151126_144707.jpg
    20151126_144707.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20151126_144735.jpg
    20151126_144735.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 78

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: