thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i didnt click on the link you have above. just something think about that most here would probly agree with; if you can try not to settle on equip like a light as you may ultimately wind up buying the equipment later on anyway.
your lighting will really depend on what you plan to do with the tank as far as livestock is concerned. try to determine that and then select light. if not sure, but think you will eventually add corals- buy the light that will handle the corals you wish to keep and make the right purcahse the first time

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Are you looking at the 2 bulb? Then no, a 65 is a deep tank, 2 lights will not give enough light. I had a 65 and ran a 6 bulb T5 fixture that was plenty. It grew SPS, LPS, Clams and zoas and other softies. I would also buy a better brand than the one posted, go used if you have to.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I don't know much about that company, but as they say you get what you pay for. I bet these are made in China and cheaply then sold here. I personally would buy something different. A Current fixture at the least. Or go with a used Tek or ATI fixture.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Tek elite 36" is what I have on my tank, it's great! But cost much more then $125 ..........GL.

Ps: try and not skim on the equipment they are the most important part of your reef... Think about saving when it comes to the livestock ;-)

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
look into http://www.kessil.com/index.php i think you should be fine with 2 a150W's. those lights you posted don't look too promising. if you want t5's get something with individual reflectors and something with better bulbs. bulbs are costly and they range from 20-35 each. they should last you a good year, year and four months. so for your tank, you would need a 6 bulb fixture. that means minimum of $120 every 12-14 months. i think a tek 6x39w fixture should cost you a good 300 bucks. ATI seems to be the favorite. so $420 the first year (plus differences in energy bill for t5's vs LEDs, hopefully someone else can chime in here). if i were you i would just go with the LEDs. don't have to worry about switching out bulbs.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I just RB'd him about the fixture I'm selling- Maristar 36" 2X250 MH 2X39W T-5's. I think it would be about perfect for what he's planning to do with it.

Ehh scratch that. Good luck with choosing. Hope you find something you're happy with:)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: