E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'm considering buying a bike and biking to work everyday rather than buying a beater car and selling it in a few months.

This will really be for the summer and possibly early fall until we close on our house. I'd also like to bike recreationally because I am NOT in shape :lol2: and need to get in shape.

Anyway... My buddy recommends a Cannondale Quick CX.. (he has a much more expensive model, but he is a triathlete.. Which I am definitely not).

Thoughts? I know I want a hybrid bike, and will need to try them out in person first, but I also know next to nothing about bikes.

Thanks for the help.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
A bunch of guys I work with ride and they talk about brands and models a lot, never knew so many existed. Ask your friend what store he goes to and start that way. As for actual bike, from what I hear cannondale is a good choice. It's def good excersise if you ride with a purpose

Qnsnyc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I would recommend Cannondale, but look for a used one. This way if you don't spend a lot of money up front. Bicycles are like tanks, you are going to upgrade once you get in to. My wife and I both have Cannondales.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
if your looking to ride and get in shape, i don't think you need an expensive bike. those bikes are lite weight and made for competing imo.
buy a used bike theirs plenty out their.
with a cheap bike, you'll have to work a little harder so the faster you will get in shape, if you get into it then buy a better bike.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have always used mountain bikes not hybrids, but I have a GT and a Trek. I like both bikes and had a Giant awhile ago. Never cared for it though. This is however my 3rd GT.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Go to brands In wantagh. They have a great selection and will let you ride any bike you want to try out. I would Buy a Raleigh detour 4.5 hybrid for 450. It will last forever and you will love the bike.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
E... Personally the best bike for you will be whatever fits properly. You definitely want to go to a bike shop and get sized up for a bike you are looking for... After that, when you know what size will fit you then if you choose you can go out and purchase a used bike.
However I like the idea of purchasing a new bike from a true bike shop and not from a big name store. Usually bike shops will offer free adjustments, as when you get a new bike you should have the new bike adjusted after a month or so forth as cables will stretch out and not be optimal.

Cannondale, GT, Giant and Trek are good brands to look into. There are many more but it really all depends on what type of riding you will be doing. Hybrids are also a good idea if you are just going to be doing local street riding, and you have no intentions of ever taking the bike out on trails or if you are ever going to do any racing or riding events.

I ride a Cannondale Bad Boy 9... nice hybrid bike, slightly on the heavy side after adding locks and such... but a good ride for city/street riding. I use this to commute when it's not raining. Has a more comfortable upright riding position like most hybrids/mountain bikes.

Whatever you end up choosing just make sure when you get your bike you can stand up with feet planted between your "Boys" and clearance from the top tube of the bike.

GL

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
...... go out and purchase a used bike.

Whatever you end up choosing just make sure when you get your bike you can stand up with feet planted between your "Boys" and clearance from the top tube of the bike.

GL

i bought a used bike from skene for my son who got his brand new bike stuck in the mud jumping off a fishing pier/dock (still don't know how that happened).......it's a bit too tall for his "boys". he jumps off the bike when stopping......lol.

e.....some of these fancy bikes cost more than a beater.......and also more likely to get stolen.....lol

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: