SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I was given a 24 gallon nano-cube a while ago and recently went in to deep clean my filter (rather than just rinsing the sponges). As I made my way through the sponges and noodles I came across 17 Bio-Balls. I cleaned them off which resulted in massive amounts of muddy gunk and decided based on that. That I would leave them out of my reef tanks filtration system. I've read that bio-balls essentially are just trying to create more surface area for bacteria to latch onto and grow and that the potential issue with them is their ability to trap organics as well and keep filtration from being as efficient as possible. The other thing that was noted was that in a reef tank with a fair amount of live rock that bio-balls are unneeded because of the amount of surface area the rock produces for beneficial bacteria to grow on.

Now that I've given my story I just wanted to know a few things about these bio-balls. Should they be in reef tanks? If they should how often do the need to be cleaned? Aside from what I've stated above what sort of benefits / pitfalls come from these things? And if it's a simple answer (which I highly doubt)...Bio-balls Good or Bad?

Thanks.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Bio-balls should not be used in a reef tank for the reason you ran into. The live rock in the tank provides a more than adequate area for bacteria.

Bio-balls are often used in a FO (Fish Only) tank to provide an additional place for bacteria to grow.

IF one were to use bio-balls ANYWAY for a reef tank, they should be rinsed ONLY in tank water gently to dislodge the detritus and that should not be done on the same day any other types of mechanical filttation are cleaned (to lessen the impact to the bacteria in the tank)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thank you for the info. Very helpful. I wonder if these were the reason for my hair algae issue that I've been battling. It could definitely be a factor in that correct?

Yes, they could definitely add to the issue as they are keeping added nutrients in the tank.
You will still need to get those nutrients out of your tank through water changes and/or use of a phosphate reducing media.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Yes, they could definitely add to the issue as they are keeping added nutrients in the tank.
You will still need to get those nutrients out of your tank through water changes and/or use of a phosphate reducing media.

Yea I was already doing all of those things. I guess time will tell if I've finally located the culprit. Thanks again for your help.

Actually,
While I have you here. I also found a blue pad in the filter as well. I was wondering your thoughts on that. Should it be removed or is it just something I should clean weekly. Currently the filter consists of the following. Two sponges (I clean out in tank water weekly.) two bags of noodles, some rocks, and that pad. Just wondering if there's any other input on that current setup.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: