john70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Recently my tank got blue slime algae worse and worse,My friend told me this website yesterday, so i hope some reefers here can feel free and give me some advice. Try to upload some pictures of the algae issues but all fail lol. Thanks in advanced! John.

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

john70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Thanks for healping guys! Dkw just can't post picture,actually much more blue slime,then little green and red slime too grow in same spot.they're same algae ti me just the color different, I using a small power head to blow them,they're all easy to Pell off from any surface, but coming back very quickly. Very annoying !

john70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Thanks themeat! I just got the phosbam reactor from lfs today,going to install it tonight, and also my friend going to send me some cheato algae tomorrow, hopefully when nutrent getting lower will kill all the slime. I already did as you said,put one more power head to the tank to get more flow. It works good,i can see some slime peel off from the rock because the higher flow, but few soft coral looks bad lol,need to move the to the corner. Thanks again!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Make sure the flow throu the reactor is slow so the media has time to work. Plus too fast and media works it's way out of the reactor and gets stuck onto pump motor magnets leading to hi heat and/or failure.

Unless you are removing the detached algae that the added circulation is causing, it brakes down and re releases the nutrients it used to grow. A catch 22.
With a filter sock in place blow off the rocks with a turkey baster, and mix up the surface of the sand. An hour or two later, clean or replace the sock. The more often you do this the better, until you get nitrates and phosphates in check.

john70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Yes i have set up the po4 reactor exactly as you show me here! After major cleaning and a big water change,also keep the tank under darker light. Now,the tank looks much clean than before! I can see the blue slime still grows back after my cleaning but slower than befor,very happy about that! Hopeful take week or two,I can completely get rip of the nasty slime from my system.Thanks for help guys!

john70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Thanks mu8st! I heard this before but Didn't try it at this time. My tank getting much better than before since I did a big cleaning and big water change, plus god and extra big circulation pump. I will do research on peroxide and keep in mind for the future. Thanks again bro!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: