wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that you have an active breeding pair.

As for PJ cardinals, I have never personally seen a site, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. From what I recall, the fry are much smaller, but the functional part of breeding them remains the same. I imagine they'll go after freshly hatched artemia just like the banner's will. Good luck with it!

papagimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they mouth brood similarly then? Do you happen to have estimates on incubation times or anything? Not that it really makes a difference, my bangaii's don't follow the normals for that either. held the last batch of eggs for 32 days before they hatched. Then only held those for 4 days.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PJs only hold the eggs for 7 or 8 days. The fry swim out immediately after they hatch. They are about 1/10 the size of baby Banggai. Rotifers are required for first feedings just like with Clownfish. They accept pulverized Cyclop-eeze after just a couple days though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always gotten my banggai baby clutch to start taking frozen foods after two weeks. When I feed with the bbs I take a razor blade and scrape a chunk of frozen brine with the blade perpendicular to the face of the frozen food.

As I feed I start to take back the bbs and increase the shavings of the frozen until they only eat frozen. Still have to feed them often though even when they are on frozen.

My male just gave up his last clutch, I have no idea what gives. Female looked to be pretty tough on him this timne though.

papagimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding cyclopeeze after reading the success's using this as a first food. All my bangaii babies, 1st and 2nd batch are eating this stuff like hotcakes! The smallest and newest babies are even eating it right from the surface. The larger guys still wait for it to float around the water column. (I'm using freeze dried whole cyclopeeze)

papagimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have a few pics. Heres a link to my reefcentral photo album: breeding folder. Theres are some pics of the parents and babies and there 2.5gallon nano grow out tank. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgall ... 21&thumb=1

I also have several listed on my flickr account as well, heres a link for them as well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/papagimp/

I don't think I have any pics posted up yet, but I did just put some finishing touches on my 20g long Bangaii Breeding tank. it'll be used to house the breeding pair, along with the new diadema setosum (black long spiney urchin) I just picked up last night.

papagimp

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me when I say that a picture does not speak a thousand words in this instant, you just have to see the babis up close and personal to see how cute they really are. especially the guys who figured out that I'm the one making food fall in the tank, they come running up to the glass everytime I look in there. it's the greatest.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: