I read a great article here about fire worms. The knowlegable author (Rob Toonen) did not reccomend a chemicle treatment for the obvious reason of likely killing other wanted organisms.

I have a large "fish only" public display aqurium that we wish to add a refugeum to. All the infastructure is in place but our plant specimens are contaminated with fire worms. I really don't want to add them to the tank as this exhibit has to be dove daily, "and I can't imagine getting one of these guys in the wet suit" :? . Basicially what I need is a chemo treatment that will allow the plants to survive but irradicate the worms. So far prazyquantel and ivermectin does not effect them at all, even at hyperconcentrations. My next experiment will likely be formalin as I know copper will take out the plants.

I hope someone has an idea.

Thanks

Charlesr1958

Experienced Reefer
Are you sure they are of a species that could be considered a threat? I have yet to hear of a worm found in such a manner to be a threat to fish, those species that are a threat are more of a worry to corals and even then, there are only but a very few species that fit that bill. Please check out the worm section of my hitch hiker pages, most likely you will find that they are in fact beneficial members of the clean up crew. A good photo of its head structures would be nice.

A Hitch Hikers Guide to the Reefs

Chuck

Thanks for the reply,

Actually I think your'e likely correct that they will clean up detritius etc., and any young will be welcome planktonic food. My concern is for the human specimens that share the environment and the potential for unwanted stings, and these guys sting. Also having this unwanted invert in there changes the dynamic with respect to digenetic parisites etc, that require a non-fish organism to complete their life cycle. I'm likely going on a reach with that, but I'm quite paranoid about keeping the tank disease free.

Finially we have now discovered that a freshwater bath of 20 seconds at a pH of 8.2 kills them quite adequately. We are now seeing how that effects the plants. I'll post my results later.

brandonberry

Advanced Reefer
I've never heard any mention of bristle worms hosting any fish diseases. If they were actually fireworms, they would likely starve without corals to feed on. The stings from the detritivore varieties that I have kept really aren't that bad. I'm not sure if you have personally been stuck by them, but it is really isn't much different than getting a few cactus bristles in your hand. The only precaution you would really need to take to avoid getting stuck is to wear dive gloves.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: