Thavngr98

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So about 2 months ago I mysteriously was missing my hippo tang had hat about 3 months thought maybe it jumped tank and the cats got a treat. A month later one of my clowns was missing. Figured hmm maybe it jumped also so I netted the top of my tank. Fast forward to lat week bought a yellow wrasse I know they are know for hiding the first couple day so I let it be. This week I could not find it at all. Came home today and found it wrapped in my brittle stars arms munching on it. So my question is will a brittle star go after a fish or do you think it was dead already and it was enjoying the meal? I have no problem removing it if it will go after other! TIA'

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Brittle stars are commonly accused of hunting fish as they sleep.
The green ones have the worst reputations than the other colors, but any of the large serpent or brittle variety are not widely trusted.
They move fast and can surround fish within the rocks.
I removed mine and have a smaller slower moving kind.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
or you can just target feed them about once a week like I do when they don' get enough food....had mine for over ten years. They are great scavengers, but will eat fish to survive...a tell tale sign that they are hungry is if you see them out during daylight or moving around alot or if you see the ends of the arms waving in the current....as mentioned the green brittle is more aggressive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: