ophiuroid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green brittle Ophiarachna incrassata is not likely to eat worms in the DSB. However, please note that *some* people have had trouble with large brittles going after other tank inhabitants, like small fish. If there is a dead or dying fish in the tank they will go for it fast. They are sold as scavengers, but it is important to remember that they will not allow themselves to starve, and thus can and will eat other tank inhabitants. I suggest keeping them well fed by spot feeding with shrimp, fish, etc. Other species of brittles and serpents do not have the same bad reputation. You may wish to consider one of these instead. There area a number of posts on green brittles so you may wish to do a search for information.

Miniature brittles are excellent additions to the tank.

I think most owners will agree however, that brittlestars are one of the most interesting invertebrate additions to their tank!

-------------------
Brittlestars!! http://home.att.net/~ophiuroid
-------------------

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: ophiuroid ]

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one in my tank. He ate a few turbo snails, despite feedings of frozen brine and table shrimp. When I left town for a couple days, he ate a couple more and was sentenced to life in the skimmer. He lives happily ever after in there, and still gets a piece of shrimp every few days.

Doughboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the worms, but the fish - that's another story, I lost several to a rather plump green brittle.

maxtse

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will a green brittle star devastate my worm population?
what about the miniature brittle stars or the micro stars from inland aquatics?

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: maxtse ]

Tim Reed

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend feeds his small fish, shrimp, muscle... He is a pig (the serpant star that is). I wouldn't call him a scavanger but an opportunist is fitting. He eats so much his body gets lumpy and very large. His tank is >100 gallons but I would like to have one in my 55 gal. when it matures except my tang and foxface are kind of small.

hectina

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had sepent stars in my tanks. One thing noone has mentioned is the fact that they are fast. I wouldn't worry too much about worms. Just don't get a sand star.

I have both micro serpent stars and a macro serpent star. The micros would be more a threat to the worms than the large variety. They are driven by smell and feel. They will eat frozen food, and they tend to eat meaty foods (never seen one eat tables or flakes).

An interesting way to feed them is to place a piece of fish or shrimp in a food clip on the bottom and watch them go. I feed a piece of food half the size of his disk a week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: