knockout

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Hey about 10 days ago I discovered a break on my center brace, the tank is a 215g Oceanic Ultimate tank

break
DSC_9320.jpg

braces
DSC_9317.jpg

I've been talking to Central Pet, who now owns apparently every tank maker out there, the tank I have is discontinued, they have offered to replace the tank with an all-glass aquarium which they also own, it will be a 210 instead of a 215, dont know what I would do without the extra 5g :x lol
the one thing I do lose is starphire glass in the front which sucks because that was the only reason I paid an extra $400 for the tank, they tell me is fairly easy to replace the center brace, but I think I want the peace of mind of having an intact tank in my living room rather than a repaired tank

so new tank with no worries and no starphire, and A LOT OR WORK TO GET IT MOVED
or
old repaired tank with worries, no moving at least not that much

what do you think I am over stressing about the repair, is it fairly simple and safe?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
IMO if you're able to replace the center brace then the tank should be worry free. The problem with replacing the center brace is, you'd most likely have to empty the tank to relieve the stress on the bowing glass. If the glass hasn't begun to bow yet then you might have an easier job just replacing the bracing.

If the tank has begun to bow, then you'd have to empty it in order to replace the bracing. At that point you can either have a brand new tank for not much more work, or you can continue using your Oceanic Tech with starphire glass, repaired, but in almost new condition.

Russ

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well, lets break it down like this.
Like already stated, if the tank is bowing, to the get front back ?true? you?ll have to remove the water to relieve the stress on the glass to replace the center brace.
Now, in the picture, it looks like you have bar clamps in place to keep the bowing to a minimum. How far did the tank bow, if any?
If your bowing was at a minimum and you were able to return the front to ?true? then I would go with replacing the center brace and be done.
You got the bar clamps in place acting as the center brace. So if you don?t have any silicone pulling away or leaks then it?s the same idea but with out the handles in your line of view.
Good luck

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
there has been no bowing at all I found the crack before it went all the way thru and 3/4 of the center brace is still intact

oh so in that case, replace the brace. The silicone and frame has not been compromised. The only question i have is how did this brace get cracked? If it just cracked on it's own, why?
quality of glass or from stress? thats the only question i was wondering about. is the tank level? For some reason this brace cracked. Just got to find out why?

Last edited:

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i had an Oceanic tank and i think they came with a lifetime warranty, i would look into that if the starfire means that much to you, otherwise empty the tank and replace the brace. the only problem with that is giving ample time for the new silicone to cure before filling the tank back up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: