Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have two Zoa frags I got from a fellow reefer and they are being snubbed out by bryopsis. I have taken them out, and plucked with a tweezer what I could, but it has come back with a vengance against these poor zoas.

Any suggestions?

I am thinking of seeing if I can cut the zoas away from it, salvage what I can of them and dump the rest. It is simply so intertwined in them I can't really come up with any other options.

Suggestions please.

mstrofdisaster

Smokin' Reefer (aka KRS)
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two Zoa frags I got from a fellow reefer and they are being snubbed out by bryopsis. I have taken them out, and plucked with a tweezer what I could, but it has come back with a vengance against these poor zoas.

Any suggestions?

I am thinking of seeing if I can cut the zoas away from it, salvage what I can of them and dump the rest. It is simply so intertwined in them I can't really come up with any other options.

Suggestions please.

Unfortunately you're doing all that can be done to manually remove the bryopsis. This algae is being fed by excess nutrients in your tank, so you'll have to lower your phosphate levels to starve it out.

There are also a growing number of people who elevate their Magnesium levels to 1500ppm , which seems to kill it off. I'm in the process of doing this now as I have 2 zoa frags with this same problem.

Good luck.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
people who elevate their Magnesium levels to 1500ppm , which seems to kill it off.

Does this work with caularpa too?

if not HOW the HE%% do you get THIS stuff out of your tank?

kool-cat

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I had this stuff in my tank. I may still do. I had it on my skimmer piping and scrapped it off. The problem is I scrapped it off in my aquarium and some of the pieces went everywhere. I hope it doesn't come back with a vengeance. It was first introduced to my tank by a fellow reefer on another site.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Out they are going to be, I will frag what I can, hopefully with some success. It hasn't spread anyplace else that I can see at this point in time... so hopefully this with curb this.

:irked:So frustrating.

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have an acan that has byrposis on it. I think that from the target feeding, the nutrients were always there for the green stuff as well. I am too scared to go the emerald crab route, cause I hear that they can go renegade style on the corals. I think that you also have to very slowly increase the magnesium levels, and you cut it down also. there is a really good thread on reefcentral about this technique.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: