Glassman 1281

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed the past week i have some bubble alge , tonight i noticed its everwhere in the sump all over my live rock everwhere?????????? What do i do ??? I have 1 cleaner and one blood shrimp .. and 1 hippo 6 chromis 2 clowns and wrasse . What kills this crap....... will everthimg survive????? I just did a water change on Sun. using rodi water same as always , HELP>>>>>>>........:scratchch

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
You have to manually remove them, and try not to pop any of them, or the spore will spread. The only effective natural predator is emerald crab, but they wont touch the bigger bubble algae. And when they get bigger, they can go after your corals and small fishes.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
And when they get bigger, they can go after your corals and small fishes.

Ummm, hoping he's talking about the emerald crab after it feasts on the bubble algae...lol

Seriously, whatever rock you can remove and pick off the bubble algae by hand is best (and fastest). If any of the bubbles break be sure to rinse the rock off very well before returning it to the tank.

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
Ummm, hoping he's talking about the emerald crab after it feasts on the bubble algae...lol

Seriously, whatever rock you can remove and pick off the bubble algae by hand is best (and fastest). If any of the bubbles break be sure to rinse the rock off very well before returning it to the tank.

No, I meant when the bubble algae gets bigger they can attack fish and corals, lol. Kidding, I was refering to the emerald crab.
Thanks for pointing out my confusing sentence, Kathy.

Glassman 1281

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to manually remove them, and try not to pop any of them, or the spore will spread. The only effective natural predator is emerald crab, but they wont touch the bigger bubble algae. And when they get bigger, they can go after your corals and small fishes.

So your telling me is to pick each bubble off the rock....?? There everwhere. Looks like a 18 pack is in order for tomorow night ..... What causes this ? if i get a emerald are they bad for a reef tank with corals shrooms , frogpawn, zoos, etc....
:givebeer:

Glassman 1281

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i have a fuge with cheato and live rock. Should i put any snails crabs fish shrimp....... anything in there to keep clean????? or does it not matter??????? Thanks

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
So your telling me is to pick each bubble off the rock....?? There everwhere. Looks like a 18 pack is in order for tomorow night ..... What causes this ? if i get a emerald are they bad for a reef tank with corals shrooms , frogpawn, zoos, etc....
:givebeer:

Yes, pick each bubble off if u can! Best if u can take the rock out to do it, and rinse it in a bucket of your display water before putting the rock back in as Kathy suggested.
It might have came with your rocks, all it take is one bubble algae to pop and it will spread in your tank. If u can lower your nutrient level that could help too. Like i said before, emerald crabs are pretty reef safe when they are small.

Last edited:

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
unfortunely this is 1 of our many things on our pest list that r a pita n almost impossible to radicate unless taken care of early before it widespreads. there r other pest that can spread even faster than bubble algea.
get help, many hands makes the job lite.

Last edited:

Glassman 1281

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pick each bubble off if u can! Best if u can take the rock out to do it, and rinse it in a bucket of your display water before putting the rock back in as Kathy suggested.
It might have came with your rocks, all it take is one bubble algae to pop and it will spread in your tank. If u can lower your nutrient level that could help too. Like i said before, emerald crabs are pretty reef safe when they are small.

When you mean nutrient level what does that mean????? Sorry for the stupid ? I dont know what you mean..:duh:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: