michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I built a few fish traps today made out of 2 liter bottles with the inverted neck and the bendable entrance (like the clip on youtube). No dice.

So I built another one with a huge opening, and rigged it with fishing line so I could close it. Turns out my tang is really strong.

So far today I've spent about 4 hours trying to catch fish. I have 16 fish. I've caught none.

Fine, sit there with your scaly ich and feel like crap. I'm just trying to help you, you jerks. aaaaaaahhhhhh

cthoughts1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
402   0   0
LOL.. I feel your pain Michael.. You may have to empty your tank to get all of them out, specially if you have 16 and haven't yet caught 1.. Any pictures of your tank, maybe I can give you some ideas if i see it? I've had pretty good luck just scooping them out in my 75gal with 100+ pounds of LR. What I do is i put large pieces of LR on the corners of the tank and at feeding time I pull 2 big nets out and chase them (slowly) with one net around the bend, while i wait with another net on the other side of the bend.. I've had pretty good success so far using that method.. Good luck..

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I tried to catch my zoanthid eating hippo for about 3 years finally i went fishing with a needle I heated and bent it into a hook with a piece of mysis caught that sucker in 5 seconds
I agree cause I tried to nicely, then blew up my raft and sat in middle of floor and started casting for the goof and what do ya know , 4 seconds later and it's flappin on the floor.! 16 fish....?.... get a comfy chair and cooler filled with beer and take the afternoon off ,.....I call your boss for you !:tongue1:

Eznet2u

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked for Crocodile Dundee...

781880-Fun-with-dynamite-2.jpg

I found that using a jar is a really good way to catch fish....just put some food in the jar and keep a net right next to the entrance of the jar. In my experience...fish aren't afraid of nets as long as they're not moving so as soon as the fish goes into the jar you can move it to cover the opening. Give it a try if you can, it worked for me afte trying to catch a damsel for several weeks and then I caught another right after I noticed that method worked

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
I have an acrylic fish trap that I bought from Doctors Foster & Smith - it works like a charm and I have loaned it out before. If you want to pick it up from me I work on 23rd and Madison. LMK if you are interested.

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
bigyankfan's acrylic trap worked for some of the bigger bolder fish. today I drained the tank down halfway and used pieces of glass to trap a few more. Now i'm left with the most skittish, scared fish.

The two firefish won't come out from under their rock. The 3 cardinalfish and the damselfish just move from rockwork to rockwork. And the blue chromis is on speed or something.

Oh well, small steps. I read the article on reefcentral about how fish have pea sized brains and if you can't catch them, well, you're just as dumb as them. So apparently, I'm just as dumb as a two inch fish :)

How frustrating those little buggers are...

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
As an update. I pulled EVERYTHING out of my tank in order to get the final few fish.

It took me 4 hours. It's been about two weeks that I've been working on this project.

Do yourself a favor.

BUY A TEN GALLON TANK FROM PETLAND AND QUARANTINE ALL YOUR FISH NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

You NEVER want to go through what I did (And my tank is relatively new, so not many corals).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: