evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
So I know most people use 2x4 and it is about the "peace of mind". However, I don't think overkill is necessary to have peace of mind. Especially in my situation about to be presented.

Upgrade is going with either a custom tank (30 x 18 x 18 ~42gal) or IM30ext (36 x 15 x ##).

With that said, the weight isn't on the extreme end and I want to maximize the stand to fit my needs and what I have come to learn about the absolute need for space with equipment and the many EXTRA little bits that stay in the stand. IE Controller box, DJ Power panel, raceways for cabling, etc. ATO container, Dosing containers etc

So I plan to build my stand out of plywood and probably support it with 1x4 because I will extend the stand a few inches in almost all directions to add as space for the listed items above.

Questions:

What type of plywood should I purchase? It will be 3/4" but OAK, PINE etc.
With plans to extend the stand in all directions, tank not sitting directly on the ledge of the stand, will this cause a problem? I am referring to about 2-3 inches in all directions. Would straight 3/4" plywood hold a tank without additional lumber support from the 1x4 or is it absolutely necessary in this case?
Shower pan liner or can I go with the kilz paint to hold water in case of a mini disaster? It happens to the best of us so to have this safety net will I am custom making it is a must have.

Examples of others DIY plywood stands would be awesome.

I plan to do a main door with two mini side entrances for the a controller roll out box and DJ panel and the other side a kitchen style cabinet to hold fish nets, dosing supplies, etc. While the main sump area will hold the sump + containers. I will need to do a CAD drawing to make a better visual example.

Epayero

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   1
I recommend framing it out of 2x3 or 2x4 and then cover it up with plywood .. plywood is very strong but you are going to need two pieces of 3/4” plywood sandwiched together all around.. Doing this method would cost you more money ..

You are better off framing it with 2x4 or 2x3. It’ll be cheaper and more stronger .

I hope this helps

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Definitely appreciate the reply. Built your own stands? Any experience of building a plywood stand and knowing the actual limit of a stand in this manner?

I see other straight plywood for MUCH larger tanks without issue.

Obviously, the general consensus is to use 2x4s, even for 10gallon/20gallon tanks, and that is perfectly all well and good but for the size tank and weight, I consider it heavy overkill to do straight 2x4s adding weight to a stand that doesnt require it.

People use bathroom sink cabinets, others use Petco stands. They dont break because of the weight but shitty material.

Are you saying a wooden box made from 3/4" plywood would not hold up a 30 gallon tank or the concern is from not being flush on the plywood edges.

Support beams going horizontal will suffice doubling up the corners etc.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Plan is to use 3/4" plywood, drill pocket holes and construction glue.

If I need to support it using 1x4, thats not a huge issue but I would prefer to keep it straight plywood.

If you have built your own stand from straight plywood, did it break, did it crumble like others are suggesting will happen, etc?

usctom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I'd recommend baltic birch plywood. Baltic birch has alot more layers. It isn't available at home depot or lowes though. Done correctly with dado and rabbet joints plywood is plenty strong to hold up a much larger tank. With 1x4 frame you wouldn't need 3/4 plywood. I would use wood glue instead of construction glue.

D-Roms

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend 3/4 pressure treated with a laminate glued to the surface. If the tank is sitting away from the edge, double the sheets and add a banding. Pocket screws and heavy duty construction glue will work. I have found that salt water tends to eat the glue over time in some untreated plywood. If you want to splurge, go to a granite dealer and see if they have a leftover piece for the top.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Yeah, I saw a build with a granite counter top. Holy hell. What a beauty!

I would have to drill for plumbing tho and that would scare the shii out of me if it cracks or breaks.

I can add a nice top down the road, if I feel froggy.

Get my first build down then make a future version as the tank needs change.

Once I know I can built a decent looking stand, I can move into buying tank only which makes things easier and cheaper....kind of.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The 3/4" plywood would hold up the tank, it's really strong and also holds up your kitchen counter, BUT your skill in building a true 90 angle without a frame may be a problem. If you had a table saw, to cut perfectly and everything lines up, for for it. Otherwise you'll have a stand thats 1/8 too long somewhere and asymmetrical. Then with the rigidity of plywood walls, (vs a wood frame) the tank won't be able to press the stand flat. The stands sold at petco are simply particle boards, no frame and those hold up 75 gallon tanks. If your goal is to have a sump slip directly under the tank, 30 x 18, why don't you use that as the sump and put a 36 x 18 above it? the extra 6 inches left to right would give clearance for legs. let me see if I can find my diagram. I used 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 in my layout (75 gal top, 40 gal below within the same footprint), but of course you would be using 1x2 and 1x3 quality pine boards as the legs, wrap it in a plywood skin, a couple of doors, and you're done.
Stand Layout.pnghalf tank.jpgfull tank.jpg

D-Roms

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely appreciate the reply. Built your own stands? Any experience of building a plywood stand and knowing the actual limit of a stand in this manner?

I see other straight plywood for MUCH larger tanks without issue.

Obviously, the general consensus is to use 2x4s, even for 10gallon/20gallon tanks, and that is perfectly all well and good but for the size tank and weight, I consider it heavy overkill to do straight 2x4s adding weight to a stand that doesnt require it.

People use bathroom sink cabinets, others use Petco stands. They dont break because of the weight but shitty material.

Are you saying a wooden box made from 3/4" plywood would not hold up a 30 gallon tank or the concern is from not being flush on the plywood edges.

Support beams going horizontal will suffice doubling up the corners etc.
I built a large bathroom vanity for a client in Hackensack. Basically the same structure. Would you like to see a picture?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: