LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Is it better to use slip, threaded or one side threaded and one side slip? I want to avoid leaks, but would be nice to be able to take the system apart if needed. Thanks for all advice on plumbing issues!!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
IMO, I would much rather keep things slip and add unions to be able to take the system apart if needed. The only times I would use threads is where its required such as to connect loclines to a bulkhead, or if the pump is threaded, you can connected a threaded to slip union. If you needed to take it apart to the point where the union would also get in the way, then you could use a threaded bulkhead.

If you do use threaded, make sure to use teflon

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
imo, i would much rather keep things slip and add unions to be able to take the system apart if needed. The only times i would use threads is where its required such as to connect loclines to a bulkhead, or if the pump is threaded, you can connected a threaded to slip union. If you needed to take it apart to the point where the union would also get in the way, then you could use a threaded bulkhead.

If you do use threaded, make sure to use teflon

+1

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have trouble finding slip x slip sch 80. Most I find are threaded on at least one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Unions are a PITA because they take up a lot of space but they do work nicely, I prefer threaded because it takes up much less room and can be easily taken apart but threaded PVC is difficult to find in the lengths you would need.

Last edited:

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I like threaded cause if i mess up, I just remove the bulkhead, and start over. Problem with slip is for the most part u mess up u can't reuse them. But they work also.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: