Cbutkos

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As wrong as this may sound, you could literally go fishing for him. I had to get a blue tang out of my tank, he would dive into the rock as soon as he saw the net and he wouldn't fit in a small bottle trap so I went to dicks and got the smallest fly fishing hook they had it was like a no. 20 or something with some 4 lb fishing line, stripped the feathers and stuff from the body, pressed down the barb so it wouldn't get stuck in the lip or anything and out a piece of mysis on it, on the second "cast" I had him in my hand and the hook popped out without even trying. Took all of about 20 seconds, and I feel like it was much less stressful for him than a half hour + of chasing him and pulling up rocks and all that. For a real small fish like an orchid dottyback I use a trap as mentioned above.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Depending on the kind of fish, you can stun them with the display lights while they're sleeping. It's Worth a try...

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I used a large net. Maybe 8 or 10 inches and started feeding them with the net in the water. All the food goes into the net at feeding time. After a week or so, all the fishes started going into the net. The rest is simple. Good luck
This ^, or take out rock work
Have tried all kinds of traps. Caught plenty of snails, and fish i didn't want out.
A piece of plexy glass, the right size, trap them on an end or corner of tank away from rock work. Then get em in the net could work too.

Last edited:

Juano908

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1459131237042.jpguploadfromtaptalk1459131247082.jpguploadfromtaptalk1459131254842.jpgThis always worked for me, put some mysis shrimp in it and ocationaly use the pipette to make the mysis move inside the trap.

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Just recently, I was catching 2 demsels in my tank. I used the bottle trick and worked perfectly with the first demsel. The othe one probably saw how it worked and didn't want to swim into the bottle. I changed bottles, colors, etc. I spot fed my other fish so the demsel was hungry like hell and it still didn't want to swim into the bottle. After 3 weeks of trying I've decided to buy a fish trap and it took 10 min to catch it.
I still have this fish trap for sale if you want to buy it from me. This is small Sea Side Aquatics Fish Trap

vashawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I did a diy but never posted it.
I took 2 piece pvs pipe tall enough to sink into the sand and hit the top water surface. I attached the net they use to cover an aquarium for fish wont jump out. attach the net to both piece with plastic straps. So u have a square net that basically folds. So basicaly u have a 2 pvc bar and the net in the middle.
Place it in a corner front of the tank so it looks like a triangle. wait a 30 mins so the fish can get comfortable with the net.
Place food in there. The net holes are so small the brine shrimp cant even come out.
When the fish u want come in to eat u can now close or draw the net closer to the glass so the cant move.
Ill post a pic later.
GL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: