jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have/had a year old, 7-8 inch male veiled chameleon. It was gorgeous out and I was doing some gardening, so I set up the playyard and put my tortoises out. I then put my chameleon out on a hibisucs within the playyard. Stupidly I stepped in for a few minutes and came back to find him gone. It was all out on the grass and the nearest tree was about 10 feet away, on a piece of the yard thats covered in ivy with a stand of trees. I spent the better part of the afternoon searching and cannot find him. I dont know if its a lost cause or if some bird snatched him or what. I am so upset as I put a lot of time and effort ( and money ) into this chameleon and he was doing great. He even had a vet checkup last week. I want to kick myself in the dearierre for being so stupid.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Have faith! A co-worker's daughter lost her chameleon outside. She cried buckets...Two weeks later, the neighbor called to say her lizard was in his tree :)

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've been looking most of the day and nite. Ill take it up again in the morning. I have only briefly met some of the neighbors since moving here and I'm not sure how they'll take it when I knock on their door asking them to keep an eye out for my chameleon...should be interesting. Time's like this I wish I could rent a bloodhound.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Something good did happen though. One of my young kingsnakes escaped almost a month ago from his cage ( the screen it came with apparently does not fit the top flushly ). I practically gave up on finding him and when I went downstairs on my way out to look for the chameleon, I found the snake in my hallway checking out a bag someone dropped off! Good thing the wifie was not home. She did not appreciate it last time my ball python turned up on her shoes in the entrance closet. I know I'm going to get some :smash: but these things have never happened to me before. It's just a string of bad luck.

ssmtcarlo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I had my 6.5 ft Suriname red tail boa get loose in my house. She pushed the lid off the tank with 40 lbs of weight on it. She was BIG i found her later that day hanging from a pipe right over her cage.
I also had a 2ft savanna monitor of mine bolt under a couch once. I reached under to get her and OUCH that was a mistake. I pulled her out attached to my hand. And she held on for like 5 min. I thought i needed stitches on that one.
I have since moved on to more peaceful things

Last edited:

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Keep the faith my friend. My white throat monitor managed get out of his enclosure and find his way to the window. From here he pushed the screen out on the one side that wasn't clipped in. I thought I would never see him again. The next day my mom was outside and was wondering why the dogs and cats were surrounding my shed. As she walked over the monitor came walkin' on out. So get out in the morning and keep on looking for him. Surprised the chameleon moved so quickly. My panther chameleon is super slow.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I am also surprised he moved so quickly unless he didnt go for the nearest tree and isntead went exploring the lawn towards the backyard and by the time i checked he was up a tree there too....I spent a few hours earlier today and after nightfall with a flashlight...no luck. There are some creatures living in the underbrush and ivy though. I kept hearing ruslting but couldnt catch them in the light even right behind me. I'm curious what would come up in a live trap. It was suggested that I set up a mister on the hose next to the hibiscus and maybe he will come for the water but I'll have to wait for it to be hot and dry...hopefully over the weekend. I did make some fliers and started giving them to the neighbors who abut the property on the side and back and ahve kids....definately got some wierdo stares. if they only knew...

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Well after a few days of cold, wet weather and searching every nite with a powerful flashlight ( and getting bronchitis in the process ) I have yet to find him. My hopes are dimming. I hope he survived this nasty weather and maybe I will find him as it gets warmer if he doesnt wander too far.

nsiegel5

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Red ear sliders are indigenous to the area Chameleons are not. Throw ur turtle in a pond with food it will be ther next year and the next year and the next

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I dont think RES are indigenous but they have become established ( much to the detriment of local wildlife, in LI at least ). But you both have points. The main problem is not his surviving the climate ( I believe he can survive here until the winter if the spring starts warming up consistently ) but the fact that I live in a fairly wooded area with a lush underbrush between the properties in this neighborhood ( kind creepy when I first moved here ) and he can also be anywhere from waist high bushes to 100 feet up in a tree. I do search for him still but I am realistic and will end up buying another one ( wouldnt mind two and have the housing for a second if I do find him ).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: