Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Ever been approached by an individual working for an org (NPO) in the city?

This is not uncommon in Manhattan but today in Brooklyn I was approached by a persistent young lady who asked if I could donate to a charitable cause (this transpired in a coffee shop). She couldn't even explain to me what the org is about (a red flag in my book). I answered immediately with a prodigious sigh that I'm in school and I'd be paying 7% interest on that donation, her rebuttal was "maybe next time." She said this to me maybe 4-5 times, and I knew she didn't hear a word coming out of my mouth (insert Chris Tucker voice over).
Of course I was irate about her attitude, I mean how do I know it's the real deal? Next time my answer will be short and sweet: No, thank you. The polite thing to do was walk quickly and pretend I'm on a cell phone lol. :kidding:

I do understand that certain org need to get their word out there and what's better than human interaction! For this particular case, I just wasn't buying it.

So my PSA for today is if you plan on donating to a charitable cause (i.e. ACLU, ASPCA, GLAAD, Housing Works) verify that it is the correct organization not a similar org. It's pertinent to research on where the funding will go, after all it is your money.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Next time ask them for their credentials-a laminated one that will look like a press pass along with a letter with contact numbers. When they trip up on their words after you ask tell them have a nice day. They usually realize the jig is up and walk away directly following.

They're supposed to have an id of some sort to legitimize them.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Correct.. Anyone working for any organization(s) that collect $$ for charities needs to have an ID badge, which they will gladly show you.
If they do not have one... the only charity case they are collecting for is theirs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: