nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Here is my DIY auto feeder, capable of delivering frozen and liquid food anytime and for an extended time, all off the shelf parts, controlled by my Apex and very reliable.

1. In fridge sump consisting of an open and upright 4" pvc pipe standing a bit higher than my other sumps so it won't ever overflow, located just before my return pump

2. Hole drilled from the freezer compartment to the cooler compartment to accept a pvc pipe for delivery of frozen food to the 4" pvc sump. I make my own food consisting of various other frozen foods but mostly mysis, reefroids and garlic.

3. Rotating food bin that drops frozen food into the pvc pipe for delivery

4. Small hair dryer (green in picture) that turns on for 1 minute, directed down the shoot, so food does not stick to side walls of pvc food holders.

5. Liquid food in cooler dispensed into 4" sump via peristaltic pumps. I'm using Reef Nutrition products, combining oyster and rotifeast into one bottle, the other is phytofeast. I checked with Reef Nutrition, they said one can combine products except for phytofeast due to ph.

photo-36.jpg

This is the food bin made from a brute trash can lid and individual compartments comprised of sections of pvc pipe glued over drilled out holes of the same lumen size, center is cut to accept the top of the timer pictured below, note it just sits on the timer so it can be easily lifted off and cleaned if necessary:

photo-39.jpg

This is the stand (turned upside down) for the food bin, made from another brute trash can lid, the pvc supports are glued down to the fridge, note the cut out on the right to allow food to drop through:

photo-40.jpg

The food bin turns via a pool timer (very rugged), since the food holders are equally spaced the time it takes to dispense food is constant so it can be controlled, it sits in a hard plastic holder which I made from the plastic enclosure that came with the timer, it too is glued down to the fridge

photo-38.jpg

Current Tank Info: 900g in wall mixed reef, another 400g sumps, 12 AI blue LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze wavebox's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE skimmers, Emperor Aquatic UV, ozone, Apex control, 180g coral qt, 150g fish qt

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
In most people's homes, a refrigerator/freezer is the largest electric usage appliance. A dedicated fridge/freezer with an elaborate auto feeder like this is a great concept, but extremely wasteful IMO. Nice job thinking outside the box, but the cost/benefit factor seems a bit over the top.

Russ

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
it's not mine, i got it off another fourm. as far as cost goes i'm sure money is not an object to this guy. if you look at the bottom of the pics it's got his setup info. 900 dt 400 in sumps and more. 12 ai's. no matter how much the guy has and how much it cost its still a pretty sick invention.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: