bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Starting to order a boat load of carbon for my new tank and I came across a thread somewhere about how much better, purer, less dust and overall quality of the bulk reef supply rox 0.8 carbon is. Ive always been a chemipure guy myself but if this is better and much cheaper, then i think i would switch. Can anyone chime in on this on if you had any experience with this brand and if it really is cheaper in comparison.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Do you not rinse the carbon because the package had less dust in there?

I don't think the "less dust in the package" should be the deciding factor in choosing the brand of carbon to use.

I buy my carbon is 50 pound sacks, because it is cheap and it has very low amount of detectable PO4 (measured with a Hanna meter).

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Thanks for the input Jim.

Cali, dust doesnt bother me much but when there is more dust it means it releases more of what you dont want in your tank. Who do you buy the 50lbs of carbon from and do you feel its better than the chemi pure.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Dust are form or from carbon banging into each other, you should not have any dust once they have been properly rinsed and place in a proper media container in the system. I don't understand what you mean about releasing into the tank.

I got two 50 pound bags from the NJ reef club about two years ago, they got it from a carbon manufacturer in Patterson NJ. I did this because I was using about 10 pounds a months (if I am not lazy about changing carbon).

Chemi-pure is not 100% carbon so I am not sure your comparison will be useful.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Bottom line what im trying to get out of this thread is that chemipure in the amounts i would need would be extremly expensive just as you stated in the reason you bought 50lbs of carbon directly from a manufacturer. What I am trying to find out is IF that or similar carbons are just as good or better than chemipure. Im trying to get the same results as chemipure for much cheaper in bulk form. Im looking for at least 150lbs of the stuff put in to filter bags not a reactor.

Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Im looking for at least 150lbs of the stuff put in to filter bags not a reactor.

150 lbs.?!? are you putting it in a swimming pool? what size tank/tanks are we talking about?
i use 8 bags of chemi pure for my 270+ system in a fluval 405. it's less than the manufacturer recommendation but my water is so clear it looks like my fishes are floating in air. i like the chemi pure cause i'm too lazy to change the carbon every week. i buy them in bulk from petsolutions. i think it's about $ 5-6 each shipped. they also sell them in a bigger "bulk" bag.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I like the chemipure because it's simple. I take it out of the container, rinse it, and put it in the overflow area of my nano. If you have a big tank regular carbon is available in bulk and would be much cheaper in the long run.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
hey pratt,
been a while since we engaged in a conversation. What brand have you been using in bulk? Im looking in to bulk reef supply rox8 brand of carbon.
Tommy the dentist let just say it's a large tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: