chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to get my parameter correct so at I only tested calcium and it was accurate . My question is i am adding, calcium and idoine every day a few drops what chemicals is a must for a reef tank?

What are other ways to add needed elements without doing it everyday, its annoying and sometimes i forget,

Whats b ionic I heard good stuff about it and i I use it I obviously dont put calcium in the tank since b ionic contains it already?

I did a review and know what types are more important that others but does everyone dose there tank everyday?

chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
68 gallon, half circle, I have a bubble tip and a zoa and small bird nest corals, nothing major yet no clams, i have a maroon and a clown fish, yellow tang, coral bandit and a pep shrimp

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Maybe this will help....Look here for your correct numbers....

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Then, once you've chosen which additives you'll be using, use this...

http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

...for determining how much additive you should add when you address your calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels.

As for other elements...like iodine, etc...if you do regular water changes, the salt that you put into your tank when you do the water change should contain all that you need.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dosing needs change as a tank matures.....my calcium has always been high, around 400, but alkalinity is more likely to fluctuate. In my 55 gal tank, which has 2 clams and SPS, my current dosing schedule is 20 ml of each part of b-ionic every morning.....my last alk reading was 4.11 meq....But in years past, I have had to add as much as 50 ml daily. I think daily dosing avoids fluctuations. I use IO salt...and change 10% of the water every 2-3 weeks.

chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see so Im going to test cal and alk today and then add some if I need too, then tomorrow ill test again or a few hours later and add more cal if needed

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If you are not testing for iodine you should NEVER dose it. NEVER NEVER NEVER. I hope that was strong enough. Iodine is a trace element that you can run a reef for decades without ever dosing.

If you're adding Ca, then you should also be testing your alk and mg and adding them as needed. Chemical balance is your key to success.

Good luck with your new system.

Russ

chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got ya i was dosing very small amounts until my reef test kit arrived from dr foster, i though if there was not enough they would die, LFS are not the most helpful told me i needed to does a certain amount truth is they were just trying to make a few bucks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: