jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Dumb question. I threw in a new bag of chemipure my tank 2 weeks ago.. For whatever dumb reason i took it out last night and i ended up rinsing it under tapwater instead of my tank water.. Is it okay to still use or does the carbon/resin mess up..

thanks in advance for any info

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Try rinsing it again with tank or ro water..as long as it wasn't already exhausted, it will probably be fine.
Just be aware that they tend to stretch the truth a bit on their labeling about how long the product is good for and some of the other amazing things it does..like no water changes - ever..:(

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Does anybody really think that 3 oz. of tap water is going to have any Ill effect. IMO if the tank is larger than 5 gallons, there will be no problem.
This site treats tap water like the black plague.
There are many, many people who use tap water with NO ill effect.
I guess when u spend 200.00 on an ro filter, you have to justify the cost somehow.

P.S. I used ro water for 1.5 years. For the past 6 mos. I have used tap water & my tank has never looked better. I sure do miss waiting 1 hour for a gallon of water though.

P.S. #2 AWI typhoon ro/ di filter for sal 100 bucks

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would not toss it, and I wouldn't worry about the rinsing it in tap water. I rinse my fish food in it all the time. I just don't pour tap water into my tanks.;)
I use to use Chemipure just like any other carbon.;)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
it pures the chemi, It helps with phosphate removal. I personally have never used it so I don't know what all it does.

lol, I thought of that too :)
According to the label it --Removes phosphate & Silicate..and it scavenges ammonia & nitrate
AND: From the Boyd Enterprises website
-Keeps pH stable and constant
-Reduces fish loss due to pH changes or polluted water
-Keeps aquariums crystal clear
-Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment
-Removes dissolved organics.
-Helps fish have a better appetite
-Eliminates osmotic shock.
-Increases fish life span.
-Filters out coppers, metals, odors and phenol.
-Prevents ion antagonism.
-Lasts up to 4 months

On the actual bottle label it also states - "no expensive water change-ever"
I'm sceptical :tired:

Chemchef - I have no idea if the OP ran the Chemi Pure under tap water using 3 oz or for 5 solid minutes. IMO it is better to re-rinse it since tap water contains all of the things we bend over backwards to keep out of our reef tanks. Just better safe than sorry is how I see it :)

Purigen? Comes with it's own issues...some interesting info here about mixing Purigen with incompatable products..
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/filtrant.htm

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
CHEMIPURE = Miracle Activated Carbon
We should all jump on this, never any losses cause it takes away all the bad things that can harm our reefs & fishies.LOL

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have used pure tap water for reef tanks long ago. I know stores and other hobbiests that to this day still use tap water only and keep lots of corals..

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
chemipure is actually decent stuff. (Will it do everything claimed? No.)

To the OP, I think you're fine if what you were worried about was the tap water/chlorine.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I would not toss it, and I wouldn't worry about the rinsing it in tap water. I rinse my fish food in it all the time. I just don't pour tap water into my tanks.;)
I use to use Chemipure just like any other carbon.;)

+1 with awi.
i use chemipure instead of carbon i rinse them every 2 weeks and throw them out after 3 months of use. works for me.
like kathy said- just re-rinse it in a bucket of tank water.

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I guess it also depends on where you live. The tap water quality is going to be different depending on the public water system filters.

I use chemi pure as carbon and I think it gets the job done.
For some reason I don't like seachem, I've used their liquid calcium and purigen and it was difficult to see any advantages.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: