boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have recently been looking for a chiller for my 46G BF tank with 10G sump/refugium. I have been doing lots of research and question asking but get different and opposing input. I've heard some brands never shutting off or freezing and others just breaking after a short time and draining the tank. I really like the 1/10 current with the heater controller, or the 1/10 JBJ that seems to handle quite a big tank for its size, and just recently found the Oceanic 1/10.

My idea is a 1/10 or 1/5, but gearing more toward the 1/10. I will be hooking up in line to a 300gph canister filter(for now at least). If anyone can give some input to this plan and which chiller and size could work best for this setup. Mostly looking for a good quality chiller. If my gph is too low will that cause temp fluctuations?

-46G
-10G Refug
-AquaC Remora hang on
-RO/DI
-Canister filter
-50/50 lighting
-200W heater
-10G auto top off

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Your gph will need to be what the chiller calls for.

Just a heads up...a 200w heater on a 46g tank is asking for trouble if it fails. A better choice would be 2 100w heaters, in the event of failure you're covered. If one sticks in the 'on' position it probably won't overheat the tank and if one fails the other will not allow the tank to get too cold.

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the added input KaythC. I am aware of that situation but that's what happens when you start in over your head without first researching. I do have a 50w in my refugium for backup. Any input on a good inline chiller?

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have the PCI 1/10. it's great, it's quiet, and it's a pressure hog. I have an eheim 1262 (900gph) and I'm getting around 200-300 gph back to the tank.

I don't think your canister will have enough pressure to feed the chiller correctly.

B

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I decided to go with the JBJ 1/10 and a MagMD5. I was going to go MD7 but I felt it might be a little overkill for a 46 gallon, even though I have a ball valve. I was also going to go Current USA 1/10, but my chosen solution allowed me an easier upgrade to my current refugium/sump setup with a hard plumbed quiet one 1200. I hope this works and the MD5 is plenty sufficient. Also I hope I can easily control the temp w/o a controller by setting my heater and chiller at a 2 degree differential. Any input?

Please if anyone has any input on chiller recommendations or chillers in general add to this post. I spent way too much time finding nothing but a few reviews on chillers. Thanks marinedepot for the help. Those guys rock.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Current 1\10th Hp Chiller, What I Have Been Using For About A Year Now, Also Controls The Heater. It Has A 2 Degree Flux Either Way Before Chiller Comes On And Heater, I Keep Mine Set At 77 Degree's So Tank Never Goes Below 75 Or Above 79

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: