Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought a 40 gal nano it has 150 wt mh 2 25 wt t5 I was thinking of getting a chiller I see foster and smith has 2 mini in line chillers

1/15 700 btu flow 300/600 and is 1/10 1485 btu flow 420/720

There will be a 500gal per hr pump on it.

Is a bigger chill better what chiller is best for this kind of chiller for this kind of tank...

thanks...

CyanoMagnet

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 40 gal nano it has 150 wt mh 2 25 wt t5 I was thinking of getting a chiller I see foster and smith has 2 mini in line chillers

1/15 700 btu flow 300/600 and is 1/10 1485 btu flow 420/720

There will be a 500gal per hr pump on it.

Is a bigger chill better what chiller is best for this kind of chiller for this kind of tank...

thanks...

I don't know the answer to you're question BUT I maybe able to divert you from having to get one .

Heres a thread. Read the posts by greenbean, who is a marine biologist.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1412574

Since I have read this , my chiller has not flipped on once. But you may live in a hotter area.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have been making the same argument within a couple of threads here.

The flip side to that , is that with the heat wave last week, there where a couple of posts of peoples tanks hitting close to 100 degrees and quite a few more in the 90+ range.

For some people, it makes sense to have a chiller. I would argue that most people don't need one.

CyanoMagnet

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chiller too. But ever since I got it , my p1 has been to keep it off.

A:) it is loud and annoying 1/5th HP.

b:) it costs tons of money when its always coming on.

So the tank is open top, the room has a ceiling fan and good circulation, the tank has a clip fan and most importantly, I am allowing the tank temps to go higher, into the 85s if need be.

But having temps go to 100 could mean certain death for most tanks.

ALSO what greenbean discussed is that tanks that already operate at higher temps like 80-86, will survive heat spikes much better than a tank who has been always at 78-79.

So basicaly, a tank that has always been 86 is much more likely to survive 90 spikes than a tank thats always been 79.

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree that a chiller is not 100% necessary. However, I think it is a very good backup plan for many reasons.
I have a 1/10 with 320 gph on a 46 gallon and it takes for ever to cool down the tank while heating up the room. So I have an ac unit and some fans to keep the room at a max of 80 and chiller set at 80. If you can't control your room somewhere around 75 and you rely on window units I believe a chiller is almost a must have.

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
would it be a good idea to plumb it right into the sump with it own pump and just use it when it gets hot or plumb it on the main pump

that fish guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same prb as Cibo, but my 29 G gets so hot. The tank is so small that I dont want to buy a chiller and all the mini chillers they have are a piece of crap. MY 29 G gets to about 84-86 degrees with my A/C on in the house. I dont know how but with out a power head in my tank and a full reef and fish, everything does so much better since the temp. has gone up.

that fish guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same prb as Cibo, but my tank is only 29 G. Since the tank is so small I dont want to put a chiller on there, and all the mini chillers I have looked at are a piece of crap. My tank get to about 84-86 degrees with the A/C in the house on. I dont know how, but my corals and fish do so much better in the hotter water and I dont have a single power head, I took them out. My corals are multipling and spreading so much faster and their colors are so much nicer in the tank when it is warmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: