Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings.

It's my first time installing and using a chiller and I need a little advice.

Here's my equipment specs:
38g IM Nano with sump in the rear.
Apex Controller.
JBJ Arctica 1/15hp

When a feeding cycle is activated via Apex (3x day), my main pump, skimmer, reactor, etc shuts down for 15 minutes then resumes operation. I'm pretty sure I need the chiller to go off as well. I don't think I want to over chill the water in the sump during feeding, then when the main pump comes back online, push all that super cool water into the tank. If it were a bigger tank it probably wouldn't matter very much.
The chiller will have a separate pump in the sump, and the chiller itself will be in the garage which is right behind the wall behind the tank. I've chosen this location so I don't have to hear the compressor/fan noise.
Here's the main question. It it preferable to just shut down the chiller circulator pump for the :15 minutes, and leave the chiller running in the garage. or, do I need to cut power to the chiller itself as well? Or, leave the circulator running and kill power to the chiller during the feeding cycle?
in my world I would love to leave the chiller running during the cycle. That way I don't have to make an additional hole in the wall and route the chiller power back inside and plug into the Apex bar.

I hope this makes sense. Any advice would be much appreciated.
F~

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You should be fine keeping it running, it won't make that big an impact on the temperature of the water in the back chamber. It's only going to cool the water down to the temperature you specify which shouldn't be radically different than the temperature in the display. I use a 1/10 Arctica on my RSM 130 which is a similar all-in-one design with a rear chamber sump; I keep it running through feeding and water changes and it never seems to make a difference on the system temp when everything else kicks back on.

You shouldn't run the chiller without the pump feeding it running. That being said I sincerely doubt the pipes in there will freeze within the 15 minute span you're considering. Play around with it; if you've got time this weekend I would try leaving the chiller and pump running during the feeding cycle and see what happens.

Rating - 100%
36   0   1
When i ran my chiller i connected it to the apex and just left the pump running constantly just had the apex turn the chiller on when the temperature got to a certain temp so i wouldn't have any build up in the chiller get pushed into the sump or tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: