mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi guys

I am setting up my 75 gallon (thanks to all who have supplied parts to this endeavor!), and need to know what you guys think about a chiller possibility.

I am going to be running:

75 gallon with 20 gallon refugium
2x250 MH 14k + 2x54w T5 Aquactinics fixture

Will I need a chiller with this setup? I heard Aquatinics fixtures stay very cool due to aluminum housing, but I am not sure of the validity of that statement.

Thanks!

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
1/4hp.When your light are off the temp. will still go up in the hot months from other things such as power heads,water pumps,refugium lights and room temp.I have a 1/4 on my 90gal /20gal sump as well it runs for half an hour on hot days to drop the temp. 1 degree.Remember that every tank setup is different.Water pumps contribute alot of heat and where you place the tank has a lot to do with the tank's temprature .

Last edited:

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I am going to have an external water pump, genx 1160 gph. I am going to do a watch and wait procedure here, because I don't want to spend. 1/4 is a lot of money! hmm.. like everything else lol

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I am going to have an external water pump, genx 1160 gph. I am going to do a watch and wait procedure here, because I don't want to spend. 1/4 is a lot of money! hmm.. like everything else lol

Waiting is good idea you may not need one that big.Genx 1160gph get really hot.You know what the summer months are like.Would you run your tank without a heater?If your going to stay in this hobby you'r going to spend a lot more than the cost of a chiller.

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
yes, I know. I probably need one but who knows, maybe I won't need one that big. The pump may get hot, but its external, so no big deal, right?

No they get really hot even submersible pumps they get hot.I'v seen tanks without chillers in stores they use large fans.The basement is another option.

Last edited:

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
eh, i already got the aquactinics 2x250 MH, 2x54w t5. I want to start keeping a nice hard coral collection, if I have to get the chiller, I will know after the first week its up and running. i was just looking for some opinions.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
eh, i already got the aquactinics 2x250 MH, 2x54w t5. I want to start keeping a nice hard coral collection, if I have to get the chiller, I will know after the first week its up and running. i was just looking for some opinions.

Ok keep us posted good luck.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi guys

I am setting up my 75 gallon (thanks to all who have supplied parts to this endeavor!), and need to know what you guys think about a chiller possibility.

I am going to be running:

75 gallon with 20 gallon refugium
2x250 MH 14k + 2x54w T5 Aquactinics fixture

Will I need a chiller with this setup? I heard Aquatinics fixtures stay very cool due to aluminum housing, but I am not sure of the validity of that statement.

Thanks!
You should have a chiller. Especially if you plan on having SPS. I have a 72 gallon mixed reef tank, and my tank would hit 85 or higher without it.(not good). I bought a 1/4 hp current chiller from Saltwater Critters for roughly $600.00, and it is awesome! It keeps my tank at 79-80 constantly with minimum expense. It is a lot cheaper than running a room a/c all summer long. I did that last summer, and my electric bill was ridiculous. I came home tonight and my apartment was an oven, but my tank is a happy 79. The chiller will pay for itself in 6 months with the money you'll save on the Con Ed bill. Trust me.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
+1
you should have a chiller. Especially if you plan on having sps. I have a 72 gallon mixed reef tank, and my tank would hit 85 or higher without it.(not good). I bought a 1/4 hp current chiller from saltwater critters for roughly $600.00, and it is awesome! It keeps my tank at 79-80 constantly with minimum expense. It is a lot cheaper than running a room a/c all summer long. I did that last summer, and my electric bill was ridiculous. I came home tonight and my apartment was an oven, but my tank is a happy 79. The chiller will pay for itself in 6 months with the money you'll save on the con ed bill. Trust me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: