Rating - 100%
97   0   0
You have to either buy a system controller like an RKL/RKE or an APEX or get a temperature controller like one made by Ranco or Hydor.

Chillers can be way off on temperature. They can also break in the on position and freeze everything to death or at least kil somethings so having one will help ensure that your system doesn't get too cold or too hot in the case of a heater.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I doubt it but it's possible.

If the pump is too small, in a short period of time the chiller temp will drop quickly because it's icing up and becoming a block of ice and in that case the temp on the chiller will be much lower than the tank temp. Also, in this scenario, the tank temp will be higher because it can't pass thru the chiller to be cooled.

If a pump is small (but not too small) but within the chillers recommended rate of flow then the water will have more contact time with the evaporate (section of chiller that cools water) and will work more efficiently.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
It has nothing to do with which pump I think it should be.

You have to go by manufacture spec and calculate your heat load to determine the properly sized pump. The higher your load and/or capacity is will determine how small of a pump to go with versus how big. A 90g would use the largest pump recommended by the manufacturer but if your heat load is great because of a pump(s) that runs hot or halides that seriously heat up your tank, or you're in a an attic where the ambient temp is extreme than your pump will become smaller to allow the most of amount of contact time that your water has with your chiller.

Andyv2004

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Google you chiller model. You should be able to get a pdf of the manuel. It should tell you the min. and max flow rate per minute and just times it by 60. I would say a min of 300 gph to 700 gph. You have to follow the specs for the chiller to operate correctly. Double check the specs!!!! Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: