dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy All - I'm new here and I have just finished re-starting my aquapod 12 so I thought it would make sense to post a build thread.

The aquapod has a hard time venting, so to deal with some higher temps, I removed and discarded the hood (it was pretty beat up anyways - lots of corrosion) and replaced the lighting with a PAR30 bulb and gooseneck from boostled.com

Then, I removed the big ol sponge, the bio balls, etc... and set up a refugium in the back with LR and chaeto. I stripped some of the plastic vinyl off the back of the tank so it could be lit with an LED light strip.

I've also added the aqua c remora nano. I know an HOB skimmer is questionable in a tank this small, but I really want this tank to be as clean as a whistle since it is in my classroom and I want it to do alright over weekends and 1 week breaks.

I replaced the stock pump with an MJ900 and I am using a hydor koralia nano for flow.

Finally, I added a heater and an auto top off from autotopoff.com (draws from a two liter rectangular nalgene container and uses a tom's aqualifter).

There is 20 lbs of live sand in the tank and about 12 lbs of live rock.

Inhabitants include a coral banded shrimp, a few hermits, a few snails, and a clownfish.

There is a sea fan in there and I've got some ricordea, a duncan, some zooanthids, and an acan lord coming next week (ebay).

Likely I'll add another fish and a few more coral, but I'm going to let what's happening now stabilize for at least a month before proceeding. As soon as I get up to the five post minimum, I'll post some pictures!

dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice comments - the tank has been set up now for about 5-6 weeks. I forget exactly when I restarted it.

I teach 8th grade math (Algebra 1 mostly) and 8th grade physical science.

dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Fauna today, on 87th st, just west of broadway, and picked up the feather duster and the clownfish, an ocellaris. The clownfish looked pretty happy. After a few hours I put in a little mysis and while the clown didn't eat most of it, it did snack on a few pieces. I need to sort out what is too much for his appetite, but I know it will take a few days for him to get totally comfortable.

dmort

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - made the limit:

A note, I want to make some sort of box/cover/screen thing to hide the rear compartments from a head on view. I don't mind the skimmer sticking up, but I don't love all the cables. I was thinking black acrylic? Any other suggestions? Also, I want to make a sort of mesh cover for the top - the kit from BRS though seems wicked pricey (nearly $50 bucks once you add shipping) - other suggestions? Just sort something out at homedepot?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: