bfessler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced a pair of clowns and a hammer coral to my reef. One of the clowns is trying to hoast with the Hammer. The Hammer is a nice size with 3 or 4 branches. My concern is that the Clown will damage the Hammer. Should I remove the Clown or allow it to hoast with the Hammer?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is common for clowns to host in corals. Just keep an eye on the coral. If it is constantly stressed then one of the two must be removed. The coral will be much easier to catch :wink:

bfessler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really interesting to watch the bonding of the Clown to the Hammer. I am wondering if the sting of the coral is almost like a drug to the Clown. When I first introduced both animals to the tank my clowns would both occasionally brush up against the Hammer. As the day progressed the one clown seemed to stop the behavior and the other became more and more affectionate toward the coral. By the end of the day the Clown couldn't stay away from the Hammer. The Clown went from rubbing its back and stomach gently across the coral to completely rolling around in it. The Hammer didn't seem to retract much so I guess it didn't seem to mind the Clowns behavior. I tried scairing it away with a glass scraper but each time I removed the scraper the clown returned.

I guess I will continue to watch the Hammer for signs of distress or damage. The Hammer is a beautiful specimine and I would hate to loose it. On the other hand the pair are very entertaining to watch.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":3kcavuka said:
It is common for clowns to host in corals. Just keep an eye on the coral. If it is constantly stressed then one of the two must be removed. The coral will be much easier to catch :wink:
LMAO! Yeah, I think he'll have no troubles cornering the coral. :lol:

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank a few years ago, and my clown hosted a hammer. The hammer died from my last tank, but I still have the clown. I introduced another hammer in my new tank in hopes the clown would host the hammer. It took almost a year, and finally the clown is swimming in the hammer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: