A

Anonymous

Do you guys think a small tank with mismatched clowns looks weird?

I always have but am wondering if I could get past it.
Its not that I think I have some sort of biotope going on or whatever..

I bought a black clown (either an ocellaris or percula.. no one has convinced me which is appropriate) yesterday and my kid is kinda mad that I didn't allow her to be a part of the decision making process. We have already decided we want a pair of clowns but she will undoubtedly pick something other than another black clown.
Where we are going today has Picasso clowns and I am betting they will be a hit.
I can convince her to do whatever but It won't really be her choice then will it?

So am I odd with this or do some of you feel the same?

A

Anonymous

I thought you weren't supposed to mix different clownfish in the same tank...

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't both be ocellaris? I don't know if they actually care about the color.

A

Anonymous

someone correct me if I am wrong.. but I believe people have cross bred these similiar species. I have seen perculas and ocellaris shacked up in the same anemone but can't say I know for certain they have actually had offspring.

Anyway I agree with _Andy.. I don't think the color makes a difference to them.
But to me is a different story.

A

Anonymous

As long as they both haven't turned female they should tolerate each other.

A

Anonymous

luckily they had black ones that were young enough they were still orange.. problem solved.

A

Anonymous

E boys are playing XBox so I'm sitting here trying to figure out wtf game has clowns and tanks. :roll: :oops: :lol:

A

Anonymous

I always thought that clowns were hard to mate up. One would almost always pick on the other and next thing you know, one live clown and one dead one.

A

Anonymous

Bucolic Buffalo":2yb9za1n said:
I always thought that clowns were hard to mate up. One would almost always pick on the other and next thing you know, one live clown and one dead one.

Kind of like dating on craigslist...

A

Anonymous

Percs will definitely pair up with ocellaris. Fertile offspring have been raised. There are a ton of different clown species hybrids, some between bonded pairs and others that are "accidental" fertilization (male releases sperm, fertilizes female's eggs that are nearby).

There have even been maroon X ocellaris hybrids, which are in a different genus from each other. This highlights the inadequacy of the ole' "kingdom-phylum-class" system of defining genetic relationships...

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In captivity and in the rut, they do anything. Even Lion and Tiger interbred in captivity.
Right now I have about 200+ fry from my Onyx A. percula (female) and Snowflake A. ocellarist (male). Will see how they turn out in the next few months

Here is a video of the baby clowns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGy7HMHU ... r_embedded

[youtube]<iframe width="369" height="277" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YGy7HMHU8Mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: