jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a jawfish about three weeks ago. All was going well. After 1 day he made a home and has been eating anything I throw in the tank.

I was worried about how he would do with my hermit crabs. I never thought my Cinimon Clown would pick on him.

The other day I noticed the clown picking up rocks and dumping them on the one side of the tank. He was bombing the jawfish with rocks and filling in his home.

Now the Jawfish is running scared without a home. He is hiding under a piece of live rock. If he comes out to eat he gets chased by the clown. This is becuase he has chosen to stay on the clown's side of the tank under the same rock the clown spends his time. The clown goes over and kicks up the gravel with his tail sometimes.

I have thought about re-arranging my tank but I don't want to do this.

What else is there to try?

Should I just let them ride it out?

This is interesting.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A melanopus can be extremely belligerant to tankmates especially docile ones like Jawfish.
The Jawfish invaded the clown's space and the clown is defending it. One option, like you said is rearrange the rock the other is ride it out if the Jawfish is still eating as you say it is.
Either option is viable, though if you let it ride make sure the Jawfish continues to eat.

Regards,
David Mohr

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked this morning and the jawfish has built a new, re-inforced home on the other side of the tank.

Pretty amazing as to how much he did over night. I put some pieces of dead coral over in that corner to give him more protection. He must like that and has built a nice cave that goes behind that coral and under some small rocks that are there.

I am thinking that an anenome for the clown might help subdue his temperment. The only problem is that it is pretty hard to purchase an anenome around here that isn't already half dead.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Dr.Mac. He sells captive bred bubbletip anemones.

Just make sure that you have the correct,intense,lighting for a sea anemone before you purchass one. Research their care or yours will look just like the ones at your LFS. Also take the precaution of covering filter intakes and heaters.

GL

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: