A

Anonymous

I've had a pair of ocellaris for about 3 years. They get along great with each other and their fellow tankmates. One is twice the size of the other, so I assume they've chosen sexes. Sometimes the male will get vertical around the female and do a weird vibration dance. So is this a mating ritual? Why doesn't she ever lay a clutch?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a courtship dance to me. Is it possible they're laying where you can't see? Does the male spend his time in one place for extended periods of time?

A

Anonymous

I don't think so. Incidentally, he sometimes does this around damsels as well.

A

Anonymous

Mr. McFeely":3em14phq said:
I don't think so. Incidentally, he sometimes does this around damsels as well.

Then he must be some sort of pervert.

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that in my clowns before. I notice it after the larger clown asserts itself as being the boss. I think maybe it's either about being upset after being picked on or a dance of submission.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to me to be a submissive act, especially since he does it to my humbug and blue damsel.
Hey, yet another Brian :)
Any way to encourage mating?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol funny thread..

Mine are in the same boat, two and half years together, the male is shaking, but no eggs to be seen yet....

My sons Clarkis are 3-4 years together, and I think they are laying eggs under their anemone on the upper lip of a cave so I cant see them, either that or all the female clowns are holding out...

FB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Large one is the female the smaller the male. Yes it is a courtship dance. You may see them biting/cleaning rocks creating a nesting site where they will/may lay the eggs. The female may move up and down in the water column very fast and other very strange behaviour. A good sign that eggs are coming is the female oviposter dropping just in front of the anal fin. Looks like a 2mm white tube. Also if she is carrying eggs you will see an obvious swelling of the abdoman. They ussually lay eggs every 12-14 days with eggs taking 7-10 days to hatch. Here is a picture of my clowns laying eggs.

2262200980050149585S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see how swollen her abdoman is and the small oviposter extended just in front of the anal fin.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: