A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever experienced a colt coral dropping branches? Yesterday two branches of my coral fell off and attached themselves to another piece of rock and seem to be doing very well. The original coral is also doing fine. Is this common? Thank you.

A

Anonymous

im not positive... but it sounds like reproduction to me?

------------------

A

Anonymous

check out the LITOPHYTON at www.cquarium.com
it has the same thing happen, check it out in the soft coral section, under live corals, is this what has happened?

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited 21 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

i put one piece in my tank in december and it droped a branch about a week later. that branch is already the size of the original coral. amazing.

A

Anonymous

I think it's very commom for colts to do this. Sometimes they can get to be a bit of a pain in this resepct. My tank now has about 20 baby colts growing all over the place. I have to watch where they get started because they are crowding out and stinging other corals.

Laura

A

Anonymous

This method of reproduction is very common in soft tree corals such as nepthea and colts. Check out TRA Vol. 2.

------------------
iRIDE w/ my SLO fizz

A

Anonymous

I've personally never seen a Colt(Alcyonium sp.) nor Green Tree(Nephthea sp.) do this. It is VERY VERY common in Kenya Tree coral (Capnella sp.) The easiest way to ID Capnella is to look at the individual polyps. They look very much like a claw and cannot retract fully like they can on Nephthea or Alcyonium.

Yes this is a means of reproduction.

Tom

------------------
Visit Tom's Reef
http://www.bit-net.com/~tjotoole/

proud to be an associate of

Inland Reef Aquaria, Nashua, NH
http://www.inlandreef.com/

[This message has been edited by MickAv8r (edited 22 February 2000).]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: