b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Things are really starting to heat up around here even though it's supposed to be winter time. Just curious to see what everyone's opinions are. Competition is good. It somewhat keeps the prices low and quality should be top notch.
We still have the older guys still around. Pop corals even though they opened up not too long ago. Aquarium village. Manhattan aquariums. Max reefs. NyAquatics. POTO. Pets warehouse. Some I probably don't know since I've never been there
On the scene we have some newer shops. Might not be new to some but there new to me. We have New York aquatics. Ax signature. The reef shoppe. 3 to 5 aquatics. Pets aquatic. Tropical island. Chris acc. Place in jersey I cant remember the name
I start this thread by saying I welcome and wish the best of luck to everyone. Old and new. I have no problem traveling for a good deal and quality. I have no choice since I don't have a lfs no where near me besides petco which I don't count.
Hopefully enough of us will respond and the stores will see and pay attention since we are the customers. When I go shopping I look for good deals of course. But just because it's a good deal doesn't mean it's the best. I myself would have no problem paying for quality.
What's your thoughts?

The Reef Shoppe

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Me personally i think its a beautiful thing because not every store has the same mindset when orders are placed (adds more variety). I have been in this hobby for 10plus years and i remember the days me and my friends would pack up in one car and hit every store in the tristate and couldn't help but to leave with something from every store.
more then anything I'm happy to see how much this hobby has grown and I'm happy i can say i was apart of that.

i can go on for days but all in all bottom line is lets get to reefing!

Skaters216

Reefing for My Kids!
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
BRONX- I have been to the Reef Shop and the staff is super friendly and they always have some Great Deals there.

Manhattan- Manhattan Aquariums awesome store with some great deals even though you expect the prices to be high for Manhattan but very reasonable.

New Jersey- ACC ( Aquariumcare Center ) super friendly staff and Awesome deals on a nice size inventory of Livestock and Corals.Check out there App they are always offering discounts!!! I've only been there a couple of times but will be making this store my Home store.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Years ago I would jump in the car and go just about anywhere that had saltwater fish. Back than you had no knowledge of what the LFS had. Today you have LFS posting on MR what they have. I rather have a LFS that's not far away. Luckily TRS not far and AX near my mother in laws. I'm not far from CT but HOF and GA is expensive compare to TRS. Ax is starting to get fish. So they are a few stores on my side of bridge to make me stay on my side. I would rather support my LFS so they can stay in business. If we can't support our LFS we might not have one. Of course price and quality is important . I believe these guys enjoy the hobby or they won't be doing this. Besides one place might be better in fish or coral. So we have more option. Also dry goods are important too. One store might carry a brand that you like. I prefer to support my LFS...sorry not worth the tolls and time even gas prices are at its lowest in years.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I just want to revisit this thread for a moment.
I would imagine there comes a point in time when all of us reefers pretty much have all the livestock we want or our tanks can hold cause of something called a bioload. Corals may be a exception since we can always find space as long as there not stinging corals.
I was thinking to myself with all of the lfs already open and the ones popping up every week and the rumors we all hear about this one moving here or this one moving there. Are there that many reefers still around that the stores can keep up with a demand? Is there really that much money to be made in this hobby/business? Everyday I see more and more people breaking down there tanks or downgrading for whatever reason. Not just on this site but countless others. I just don't see or understand how everyone can stay open. Yes some are spread out amongst different towns and places but are there really that many of us?

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Most stores make their income through their maintenance & services.

I spoke with an owner in Westchester a couple weeks ago. Been open 18 yrs. and told me he would have closed 17yrs ago if it weren't for his service programs.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Maintenance is really the only money maker. Equipment can be purchased cheaper on amazon than wholesale for most vendors. Livestock has lots of liability because of premature death whether in transit or over time. The stores that survive use their sales of livestock and equipment to get people started and their service keeps them in business. There was a talk about this at MACNA 2 years ago. I believe the video is online for that one. Very good to watch especially considering what you mentioned in your thread re: posting prices

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: