How Long Do You Keep Your MH On For???

• Total voters

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ConEd is killing me:irked: electric bill is high and the dam delivery charge is High. I call them and asked if I can go pick up my electric so I could save on delivery No Luck!

Just thought I could trim some time I keep the MH on I know I keep them on way to much 11am to 8pm How much do I need to keep the lights on a reef tank dont want things to die but dont want over kill!!! there got to be a balance. I have 50wt atinics as well as 150 wt MH

how many hours does everyone keep their light on for with a reef and how many watts are you running.......

thanks

cisco1717

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
you should do a little research just to be on the safe side but you dont need to keep the MH on for that long. 5 hr is good for me but the atinics should be on for 12 hrs. if you dont already have one get timers unless your home so that you can set up the MH to turn on when your geting home from work for more veiwing purposes.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My electric bill is high as well, according to my wife. Lol. I run my halides for 10 hours a day on my reef since it is the only lighting I use. I could probably cut out an hour or two but my corals, inverts and fish are doing well so I haven't bothered (ok it's because I am lazy). I have other tanks that are on 12 hour cycles, but those are run on T5's and PC's.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Drop the MH and get a T5 fixture with indivual reflects. I got a nova extreme pro 48" for $305. I switched out the bulbs with gueismann and the thing is awesome.

I dont have a chiller and my total electric for my entire apt is only 120-150m in the summer.

something to consider. T5 are a good spot to be in while LEDs price starts to drop over the next few years.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: