Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Whats everyone doing to conserve energy?
I figured it is in the news everyday so I would post about it.
I myself installed Solar Power on my roof which is working out much better than I thought it would. It generates 4,000 watts on a sunny day.
I also installed an efficient front loading washing machine and in a couple of weeks when I can shut off my heat I will be removing my 50 year old oil burner and installing a very efficient gas boiler that is so small, it hangs on a wall and is so efficient, you don't need a chimeny. The vent pipe is plastic, thats how little heat escapes it.
I cut down the lighting cycle on my reef and installed higher K rated lamps. I also eliminated the actinic lights.
All of my lighting is compact flourescents.
Hopefully that GM electric car will work out because I want one. I can charge the thing for free also.
Now if I could only get an electric engine for my boat.
000_0003.jpg

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Whats everyone doing to conserve energy?

Nothing. I have over 500w of lighting on an aquarium which is just a hobby for me. I won't even calculate the wattage on the various heaters, pumps, controllers, dosing machines, etc :headache:

For me, attempting to conserve energy would be hypocritical at this point. :sad2:

:arg: I almost forgot....the amount of water wasted via my ro/di unit. Even the water I do use, eventually gets thrown out when I do a water change....a little too salty to make ice cubes :eek:

Last edited:

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have Power compacts in my 14G biocube. As my aquariums - I don't do much for power conservaiton, but my house is different:
1. I install / take-off the window fan to work in place of AC. This should be more economical.
2. I switched most of my lights to spirals (Compact Fluorescent I think they are called).
3. Planning to swap the 65-75 Flood-lights (I have about 10) for dimmable CFLs (no questions about that). Also plan on swapping regular flame-tip bulbs in chandalier for swirl dimmable CFLs (that's if my mom agrees to it.
I also use power center for my PC that powers off the the entire setup (scanner, printer, monitor, speakers, tower) with a flip of a master switch.
Once I buy a new Home-theater system, I'll have a smart power strip hooked up to it, so when the HT goes off, the rest of the equipment will be turned off as well.
Plus I use the obvious: window blinds to prevent overheating.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I spent a small fortune on making an LED light fixture for my tank but now I waste more energy trying to heat up the water in my tank at least for the cold months.
Most lights that are used often in the house are fluorescent
I use my motorcycles whenever possible (over 30 degrees and dry) but thats also for pleasure the 35 mpg compared to my truck's 12 mpg doesnt hurt though
vortechs and seaswirl take the place of pwer heads (less electric and heat in tank)though I can use the heat in the cooler months thanks to my leds

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if I could only get an electric engine for my boat.

Hi Paul
you might find something for your boat...have a look here and here and here
Here are some electric boat links for you to check out:
Bobcat Boats
Budsin Wood Craft - Electric Boats
Busch Electric Boats / The Canadian Electric Boat Company
Black River Boats
CraigCat Electric Boats (Michigan)
Don Robertson's Electric Boat page
Duffield / Duffy Boats
Edison Marine classic handcrafted electric boats
El Lago Electric Boats
ELCO Electric Launch Incorporated
ElectraCraft Home Page
Electraboat
Electric Boat Association of the Americas
Glen-L's Boat Page, which has designs, parts and supplies for several electric boats, including plans for converting gasoline outboard to electric drive, the Amp-Eater, a 13' electric boat, Lo Voltage, a 15' electric launch, and the PowerYak electric kayak.
Griffin Leisure Boats
Kayacht electric boats
Jim Kerr's Electric Boats site (many links to other related sites).
Lear Baylor electric boats
The Lighthouse Tole Shop offers an electric drive built into the rudder of sailboats.
Marine Classics makes unique wooden boats in Yorkshire England that can include an electric drive.
Marlab Electric Boats - Roskva
The Mundoo 3 Solar Electric Boat
Nauticraft have an electric/pedal-power hybrid boat (Encore II) and an electric-only boat (Encore III) in their line-up
New Wave / Eldebo / Electric Deck Boats
Outboard Electric Corporation website
The Pender Harbour Electric Launch Company make electric launches in British Columbia.
Ray Electric Outboards
The Reservoir Runner (electric outboard) Home Page (many links to other related sites).
Ruban Bleu Electric Boats
Serene Water Craft
Solar Sailor
SpinCraft Electric Boats (the manufacturer of my electric boat).
Tamarack Lake Electric Boat Company (Electric Loon)
The U.K. Electric Boats page
The Wilde Evolutions E-Boat page
Electra Marine does not appear to be on the Web, but they produce the Electra 180, an elegant 48-volt fiberglass monohull that is 17'10" in length and 78" abeam, weighing in at 1800 pounds and the ElectraCat 185, a fibreglass catamaran hull weighing 2000 pounds, 8'6" abeam and 18'2" long. Both have a draft of just 20" and boast a top speed of 15 km/h (about 9 mph). They can be contacted at (819) 538-4303, fax (819) 538-8185, or by post at 3111, 3e Rue, Parc Industriel, Grand-M?re (Qu?bec) G9T 5K5.
No longer produced, but an interesting craft, is the Aero-Marine Engineering Lec-Tric Ki-Yak, built in Fort Worth Texas. These were powered by modified trolling motors. One owner I have corresponded with is very enthusiastic about his Ki-Yaks.
Image of 2 Ki-Yaks (colour - 43 k)
Image of Ki-Yak motor setup (colour - 70 k)
Of course, if a trolling motor meets your needs, and some "trolling motors" can produce over 70 pounds of thrust, then have a look at what is available. Two of the better known brands are Minn Kota and MotorGuide. And here's a novel way to keep those trolling batteries charged.
Inevitably, get a few electric boats together and people want to race.
Cloud Electric Vehicles electric boat page
Seattle Outboard Association - Electric outboard boat racing page
Solar Splash electric boat race
Solar boat racing

So far I reduced power consumption by disconnecting one of the two Deltec APF 600 skimmers I have, and replaced two pumps that consumed more that 160watts together, with another pump that consumes 6watts and is more that enough for the job. I'm now planning to replace my 14K and T5 actinic with led lights. I also have in mind fountain solar pumps but need more information for that.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: