Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
While they are absolutely reef safe and gorgeous, it is very difficult to find a healty one, and very difficult to know if it is healthy. They are VERY sensitive to acclimation issues so, get one from a reputable dealer who can tell you how it was acclimated to their system ( if the answer isn't VERY slowly over the course of hours pass on it), and has had it in their care for several weeks.

Then you need to follow the same slow drip acclimation to your system.

Often they melt away over the course of the 1st few weeks and this is due to improper handling.

RTB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Good advice. can you recommend a reputable dealer? Thanks
While they are absolutely reef safe and gorgeous, it is very difficult to find a healty one, and very difficult to know if it is healthy. They are VERY sensitive to acclimation issues so, get one from a reputable dealer who can tell you how it was acclimated to their system ( if the answer isn't VERY slowly over the course of hours pass on it), and has had it in their care for several weeks.

Then you need to follow the same slow drip acclimation to your system.

Often they melt away over the course of the 1st few weeks and this is due to improper handling.

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have a Red Sea Star,

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+868&pcatid=868

From an article I read, the Fromia family of sea stars was the recommend species for the home reef due to its hardiness over the Linckia family, though I know some members here that have Linckia's with no problems. I hit Saltwater City in Brooklyn and got this guy. Adds a nice color to the tank. I don't see anything in terms of real pro's or con's but a few big pro's is that it has survived a move from Brooklyn to the Bronx. 1 week of high salinity due to an emergency with no tank sitter and and its on its second water slide trip to my sump, catch him this morning making its way throught the over flow box. I guess thats a con. First time it happened I thought the little basterd was dead until I went to clean my OFlow u-tube and there he was. But like I said its still alive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: