E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Let's talk controllers... I've used the Reef Keeper Lite (RKL) now for probably two years. It's been great. However, I'm looking to upgrade to something with a few additional features.. I'd like to monitor and control pH, monitor salinity, and possibly ramp up lighting and Tunzes. It'd be nice to have the ability to access it by the internet/phone as well.

Looks like I can buy an SL2 module from DA that will allow me to monitor Salinity and pH, however it wont do the others.

So, that said (or rambled).... what controller are you using? What have you used in the past? Present? Pluses and Minuses, etc.

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
So there's definitely Apex/Aquacontroller fans here. How about any negatives (to any controller)? Are there things that you don't like? Things that you could do without?

For me, I really like how the RKL is very easy to use and program. I've heard the AC's and Apex are more difficult to program (Apex less so). However, the RKL only comes with 4 outlets (at the level 1 purchase price), is limited in what it can actually DO, and I've seen very mixed reviews of their customer service, including some impatient responses on other forums.

As for the Profilux, I've been looking at it for a while now, and although it looks great, I just can't justify the expense. Even on sale, at $499 for the "entry level" Profilux model, it's simply out of my price range. Adding more features will quickly raise the price to $1,000 or more.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Profilux owner here, but recommend the Apex as it is more mainstream and support is readily available.. Profilux is a phenomenal controller, huge learning curve, and support is rather off the beaten path; forum based as they're based in Germany, although Michael of Aqua Digital is a great help. And +1 on the pricetag, tariffs suck.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So there's definitely Apex/Aquacontroller fans here. How about any negatives (to any controller)? Are there things that you don't like? Things that you could do without?

For me, I really like how the RKL is very easy to use and program. I've heard the AC's and Apex are more difficult to program (Apex less so). However, the RKL only comes with 4 outlets (at the level 1 purchase price), is limited in what it can actually DO, and I've seen very mixed reviews of their customer service, including some impatient responses on other forums.

As for the Profilux, I've been looking at it for a while now, and although it looks great, I just can't justify the expense. Even on sale, at $499 for the "entry level" Profilux model, it's simply out of my price range. Adding more features will quickly raise the price to $1,000 or more.

RKL/RKE former user here. Horrible customer support who could care less about the consumer, they tend to blame the customer straight out and pass it off as user error whenever possible. Controller has no integrated web server, addon will cost you over 100 dollars and is a far inferior product than the Neptune webserver, always was slow and there is no app to control outlets on any smartphone atm for that controller. Neptune has apps for all platforms. Also know that the aquacontroller and the apex line all use the same exact firmware.

TheGropster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Reef Keeper - I wish I could remember the exact complaints but when I did my research several months ago it seemed to me that there were more forum complaints about the Apex than the ReefKeeper. It was not a huge difference between the number of complaints. Either way I went with the ReefKeeper and have been very happy with it. I use the SL1, NET, 2x PC4's, Dual FloatSwitches, and ALC currently. Next purchase will be the SL2. I would highly recommend this ReefKeeper series controller.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: