Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am finally getting the chance to convert my 55g to a 90g RR drilled tank. i am currently making RO/DI water and will be adding salt and hopefully make the switch friday-sunday. some of you might know this is the second time i am doing this. last time my 90g (not RR) had a seam failure, but this time i am adding a sump and using a new RR tank.

Tank- 90
Sump- 20 gallon DIY
protein skimmer- Coralife 150 gallon cone protein skimmer

i plan to move all live rock, plus some new rock and sand to the new tank, while using as much of the same water as possible. i will wash out the sand to avoid nitrates. i can't wait to do it, and feel free to comment.

can't figure out how to post pics sorry. i will try to figure that out.

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just looking into upgrading my lighting too, and i want to know if you guys have any suggestions. i currently have a panorama marine LED module from ecoxotic.
Link http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-marine-led-system.html

i got these lights around christmas time last year, and only have zoanthids and a mushroom polyp. i have seen no growth from the mushroom, not even a split or spawn of other mushrooms. the zoanthids have gone from 3 polyps to 20, and are very colorful. i need a light that is not expensive (100-150) and i was looking for something like the par38 Leds
Link http://www.ecoxotic.com/par38-led-aquarium-lamp-rgb-with-remote.html

let me know what you think and if i would be able to keep corals with higher lighting demands. i don't know about this Led lamp, and would like to hear from you guys. i would put this light in one spot in the tank and then place all high demanding corals in that area. i would hope to eventually get a anemone in the future, so if the light could accommodate that, that would be great.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
please do not use that play sand from home depot. there are many threads all over the WWW about it and the only safe one that i have read in the past was southdown (or something like that)

here is the test

Vinegar is acidic and when it comes in contact with cal carb, like what's in aragonite sand, it fizzes. If it doesn't fizz it's a silica or quartz sand or some similar type sand...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
when it comes to your reef tank you do not want to go cheap in any aspect. its not worth the headache and heartache of the problems that come along with cheaping out. Go with the secure sand and personally i wouldn't even go with southdown if i could find it. but if it doesn't sizzle stay away FAR AWAY from using that sand in your tank. I would personally spend the money and purchase real reef sand and be worry free ;)...

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it passes the vinegar test and my tank is fine right now. i have read mixed responses to pave-stone high desert play sand being safe or not, most in the new England area say it was okay, but other areas of the country people say otherwise.

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
i was just looking into upgrading my lighting too, and i want to know if you guys have any suggestions. i currently have a panorama marine LED module from ecoxotic.
Link http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-marine-led-system.html

i got these lights around christmas time last year, and only have zoanthids and a mushroom polyp. i have seen no growth from the mushroom, not even a split or spawn of other mushrooms. the zoanthids have gone from 3 polyps to 20, and are very colorful. i need a light that is not expensive (100-150) and i was looking for something like the par38 Leds
Link http://www.ecoxotic.com/par38-led-aquarium-lamp-rgb-with-remote.html

Reef Radiance has the Par38 dimmable at a better price than the ecoxotic.

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!!!!emergency!!!!!

i just started the upgrade but i don't think i will be able to finish everything tonight. can i keep my fish in my refugium area of the sump and just have a closed circuit, or should i put them in a rubbermaid bin with powerbeads and a heater? is either one safe and which one is best.

Fsh -tomini tang
-2 clarkii clowns
-2 3 striped damsels
-banded coral shrimp

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: