Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hey everyone,

As the summer is here, and to avoid having my chiller run too much, I was considering adding a small fan to add a bit of evaporation.

However since I have some jumpers (flasher wrasses), I have a net (the usual BRS one) installed on top of the tank.

Has anyone tried using a fan in such a configuration, and if so, does the fan still produce a good amount of cooling, or is everything lost because of the "skin effect" of the net?

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I actually cannot do it, as the base of my stand is too "high" aka there is space above the sump itself till the "ceiling", but the distance between the top of the sump and the bottom of the "skirt" of the table is too low to do anything useful.

(see attached sketch)

I guess I will buy a cheapo fan and test with the net on.

Attachments

• sumpstand.jpg
    sumpstand.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 167
maxspect.jpg

I have a fan over my tank and one over my sump
keeps the tank cool but get a lot more evaporation over the summer months

I run a 210 without a chiller

if you can get a vornado fan though i think it make a big difference

I also have diy nets over the tank

just my 2 cents

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0

Reef Lobster

REEF LOBSTER LLC OWNER
Vendor
Rating - 87.5%
21   3   0
i made a acrylic cover for my sump so that it collects the evaporation. I then cut a hole big enough for the fan intake. Its then mounted securely on the stand frame.

I leave a small crack on one side to leave some room for the heat to escape. This seems to keep my tank nice and steady from 78.2 - 78.8 with my APEX controlling it to go on/ off

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: