Jdubbs

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I put about 300-400 copepods in my tank a long time ago, but recently did a redbug treatment with interceptor. I wanted to get a manderine, is my copepod population high enough so he won't starve or is it most likely that the interceptor killed all of them. If the population is down and out, how many new pods do i need in order for the pod to eat well and the population to take off?

Thanks

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Depending on the size of the aquarium I would hold off on getting a mandarin... and they really don't eat full size pods they eat the smaller babies of those pods or something like my pods... So you want to have a nice population unless you plan on dosing with something like my small pods biweekly..

Attachments

• pods.jpg
    pods.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 203

bacalao

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all,

I am also interested in getting a mandarin but I don't know if I got enough pods in my tank. I got a 2 year old 24 gallon nano cube with 24 pounds or rock. I believe I have a good amount of pods in there. The entire back of the tank is covered with the little white dots. Do you think I should go ahead and get the fish?

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I added a bottle of tigger pods to my fuge 2 months ago the fuge is now loaded with them. Im talking wall to wall, the dark areas of my tank IE back wall behind rocks have alot too. My mandarin doesnt seem to be able to clean them out.

If you get other fish like small damsels, clowns, and even shimps your pods will go byebye fast. Im not just saying that I know for a fact they compete and will clean out the pods.

Look at the tank with a flashlight in the dark a few hours after the lights are all out. they will come out and be on the glass if there are alot of them.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Wow that makes it sound easy.. That article is going to kill a lot more fish,,lol... Some people do have luck with feeding mysis and brine dead, but all that I know have killed a couple before they found one that actually did take prepared foods..
I'm not trying to sell pods either, I really don't need to.. I do it because my system produces a serious amount that can help support itself...

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's not easy and most still die. If you do get lucky, and one starts to eat prepared food or pellets, it will still most likely only have a very limited life spans or still waste away and die. In the end just more fish being killed.

And the following up comment on the article:

"Not For Experts Only" should not be confused with "Now OK for beginners"

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Also please consider the role that copepods play in your system. Sudden depletion this creature due to the introduction of a mandarin will eliminate a key member of your detris processing crew. In a small system this can snowball into larger problems.

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They are not hard to get them into eating prepared foods to help suppliment their diet.

But....

Please consider what they go through which could happen just days before they get to your tank. Starting with capture in the wild, a boat ride, a car ride, held in tank, a car ride to the airport, dumped into whosesaler tanks, repacked, another plane ride, a car ride to the retailer, dumped into another tank. You buy it, repacked, a short car ride, dumped into your tank.

Now we expect this fish eat foreign foods?

To top it off this fish is very shy and a very slow moving especially to chase food. One of the best things is to house fish so that the food is going to sit for a while on the bottom of the tank, where the fish normally hangs out or travels over.

I have seen people using breader nets to hold the fish and train it to eat foods this way. This doesnt seem good, the fish is stressed and trapped in there and causes it not to want to eat or act normally. I think your handicapping the operation using this technique.

The best thing is a small tank with low flow and a few hiding spots. If the fish feels comfortable it will feed more readily.

I have used a long clear tube(undergravel filter tubing), as a laundry shoot of sorts to deliver the food right to the bottom of the main tank right near my mandarins favorite hiding spots. This works good If they are in a big tank with competition for food, they are just to slow.

The two I have now currently will eat food right out of the water colum and chase down food that flows by them. They will also eat pellets (Marine S).

Their favorite is blood worms, it also works out well since they sink easier than most frozen foods and it fits in their mouths better. I have been keeping them on and off for 18 years now BTW. Im making it sound alot easier than it is but im sure you get the idea.

If it sounds like to much get a scotter blenny (also a dragonette), they are much much easier in getting to eat prepared foods.

Last edited:

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I picked up a psychadelic mandarin about 2 months ago. I had to put in the time to make sure he was eating, so I started him off with live brine shrimp (with the flow off), he was going after those with no problem, so then I tried out frozen Hikari mysis and he fell in love. He eats the frozen mysis everyday like a hog (with the pumps off, because he is too slow to chase it down in the current). Im sure hes also eating the pods all day when Im not spot feeding him. I think you just have to put in the time with this fish to get it to accept frozen foods, its a 50/50 chance with these guys.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: