Noaharkuatics

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 90g tank with an INT overflow box

the current setup has copper and i will be draining the entire tank and throwing the rock and sand and water out... i was advised to wash the tank with vinegar. my question is will i run into copper from the glass or silicone or plastic box from the overflow.

would you wash and do what you can with this tank or would you get a new tank all together?

thanks for your help

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The silicone does absorb some of the copper. For peace of mind, you may want to go with a new tank. If that is not an option you can always just run carbon or cuprisorb to take the copper out.

35ppt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is a former QT that had copper in it. Full reef, thriving. As far as I know copper ions can stick to silicone, but it will not absorb them. Nor will copper absorb into glass or plastic. But you do want to wash and rinse it thoroughly. Fill it back up and wait a few days then test the water. If there is still some residual copper run carbon, cuprisorb and polyfilter. You could even save the rocks and sand if you wanted to go through the effort of muriatic acid treatment and soaking and testing etc. Probably not worth your time. But the tank is no big deal IMO.

@Rebels23 do you have a source of information for the claim silicone does absorb some copper? I've always heard and experienced the opposite.

Noaharkuatics

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS customer support- stated that silicone is non porous so it shouldn't really absorb unless there's a small tear which the copper cud rest behind. but even so, shouldn't really be much of a concern especially in a 100g but i dont really want to risk it unless i know for sure.

35ppt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS customer support- stated that silicone is non porous so it shouldn't really absorb unless there's a small tear which the copper cud rest behind. but even so, shouldn't really be much of a concern especially in a 100g but i dont really want to risk it unless i know for sure.
Testing the water after a few days of soaking will tell you.

/As long as you get a zero on the test kit I would call it good. There are trace amounts of copper present in seawater naturally. You don't have to worry about removing every last ion of copper.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My DT is a former QT that had copper in it. Full reef, thriving. As far as I know copper ions can stick to silicone, but it will not absorb them. Nor will copper absorb into glass or plastic. But you do want to wash and rinse it thoroughly. Fill it back up and wait a few days then test the water. If there is still some residual copper run carbon, cuprisorb and polyfilter. You could even save the rocks and sand if you wanted to go through the effort of muriatic acid treatment and soaking and testing etc. Probably not worth your time. But the tank is no big deal IMO.

@Rebels23 do you have a source of information for the claim silicone does absorb some copper? I've always heard and experienced the opposite.
I don't have a source, just what seems to be what most say on the forums and from my own experience (although leaching could have been from something else)

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Use Vinegar to wipe it down (corners, seams). It will help break down any calcium deposits if any. Then run copper, cuprisorb, poly filter (or all at the same time) and measure through out.

I ran carbon in a hang on filter, with a packet of cuprisob attached by a veggie clip. I had a power head pointed at the Cuprisorb also. Brought my levels down to zero. HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: