Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Copperband Butterfly, I read up on what to feed and knew what to expect although I am still having some trouble, I am looking for some suggestions or tips. Thanks

SO far I've been feeding 2-3 times daily as I always have. This is a 75 gallon 4 year old system, with DSB and fully stocked with mostly SPS, some LPS,a few leathers and a cladiella. I also have a yellow tang, a pair of mated clowns, and a damsel in this tank. This is my final fish of course. I took the tang out before introducing the butterfly. I've had him in my 40 since Sunday when I got the butterfly. When can I put the tang back with out over stressing the butterfly?? The tang is fat and healthy so I am not worried about him.

I've been trying to feed the butterfly my usual, frozen brine, frozen marine mix(mostly clam), frozen blood worms, live brine shrimp, and live black worms. I rarely have the live stuff but can get it once a week. He ignored all those foods, the only one he tried was the live black worms. He maybe ate 2-3 out of the many I put in there. Besides that he just hardly swims he stays in a big cave area mostly, and picks in the rocks all day. I feel he needs more then he can find in my live rock structure. What others foods or methods should I try?

THANKS IA for reading and any advise.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the Copperbanded eating when and where you purchased it ? What was it eating ?
I'm surprised it hasn't gone after the brine shrimp.
What type of Damsel is in the tank ? Could it be harrassing the Copperbanded causing it to hide ?
One of the tricks to getting these guys to eat is to purchase live clams or mussels from the seafood store and pry them open and place one in the tank and the Copperbanded should immediately start feasting on it if it's not being harrassed. Any foods you feed this guy should be soaked in Selco/Selcon as they are very prone to fungal infections.
BTW your tank is too small for a Yellow Tang and a Copperbanded Butterfly and your Tang will probably cause problems.

Regards,
David Mohr

phoenix1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used two tricks to get copperbands to eat - mysis shrimp seems to work but if not, I soak the mysis in garlic and that usually works. Another trick I have found successful is to us clams or mussels, break open the shell and let the fish eat from the shell. I have had the most success with the mysis and garlic
I also agree with David - if the other fish are harrassing the copperband, it may not have time to eat.

WWiley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben I've had a yellow tang and copperband in my 240 for just shy of 4 weeks. Even now the yellow chases and tail whips the copperband. I don't think those two fish will work in a 75.WW
icon_sad.gif

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the shellfish idea. I do use selcon on my food. The damsel chased the CB at first but doesnt seem to bother him at all now. Are you saying my tank is too small for either of these fish or just not these two together? I understand these fish love room to swim, the tang was homeless when its owner moved to texas so it was me or the LFS. The CB has always been my favorite fish, and if I have to upgrade thats always fine by me.
icon_biggrin.gif

One of the reasons I thought a 75 would be big enough for a 75 is because Dr. Ron said in a artical a 75 gallon would be the smallest tank he could reccommend a CB for.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Ben ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Ben:
Thanks for the shellfish idea. I do use selcon on my food. The damsel chased the CB at first but doesnt seem to bother him at all now. Are you saying my tank is too small for either of these fish or just not these two together? I understand these fish love room to swim, the tang was homeless when its owner moved to texas so it was me or the LFS. The CB has always been my favorite fish, and if I have to upgrade thats always fine by me.

The Damsel doesn't have to chase it now because it has already established its dominance.
A 75gl tank would be the *minimum* size tank to keep 1 Yellow Tang and a 75gl tank would be the *minimum* size to keep 1 Copperbanded Butterfly together the *minimum* to keep both ( and they probably wouldn't get along in larger tanks ) is at least a 150gl.
So yes, you'll have to upgrade and/or reevaluate the inhabitants.

Regards,
David Mohr

Tcook

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB readily eats Omega-3 frozen brine. I have to feed the other fish on one side of the tank to distract them, then feed the CBB on the other end of the tank. Otherwise he loses out, even to the green chromis.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: