• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bfessler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Has anyone had experience with the Coral Banded Shrimp? A freind just gave me one and I have it in the QT right now. I was doing some research and some sites say it is reef safe while others say it will nip at coral and possibly eat other fish.

What is your experience. Should I add him to the Display or house him separately?

Thanks for your help,

Burt

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Burt,

The CBS is my favorite shrimp, for behavior and appearance, and so I may be guilty of defending them too much. But IME they've never been aggressive towards fish or corals. They do, however, often adopt a very threatening pose, and I blame most of the rumors on that. It's conceivable they could catch a sleeping, sick or very small fish, but I haven't heard enough evidence to think it happens often. As for corals, I have seen them pluck food (mysis, brine, krill) out of corals, though never seen them actually pluck the corals themselves.

They can be reclusive in brightly lit or active tanks and are generally more active at night. He'll probably look for a dark overhang to spend the days in.

What size is your display?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they could all get along in a 29. Just remember to acclimate the CBS slowly; they're very sensitive to salinity changes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are generally reef safe, with the occasional nasty fellow. It is just like my bicolor blenny who contracted a taste for clams.

bfessler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have been reading it seems they are OK as long as they get pleanty to eat. If feeding is neglected they will eat whatever is available.

What do you think?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will always help for one that is hungry, but one with a nasty disposition, it will have no effect.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evil. Incarnate. Sure, cute and stripey and looking smart as hell, but evil. Watch out. I have warned you, just like I was warned :lol:

Keep the little bastard well fed, and by that I mean twice a day, at least half a cube of ON Formula One each feeding. Maybe an entire cube. Depends on how much you value your other fish :twisted:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: