doctor_random

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Two days ago I reintroduced my Coral Beauty to my DT after a 5 week hyposaline ick quarantine. What a lot of work!

She was doing great, eating, active, ick licked, but still a bit shy and took up hiding under "sea star ledge" where my rather large fancy brittle and red serpents live...

I don't have a tank where critters can jump out or get sucked into a drain, so I think the stars got her!!!! Not a bone left...:Yikes:

Geesh, I'm not sure my kids are going to believe me when I continue to tell them there are no such things as trolls living under the bridge.:eat:

I'm fairly new to this hobby, but this is pretty discouraging. Happen to anyone out there?

Maybe I SHOULD just get a dog...:banghead:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Coral beauties are very prone to ich in new systems...I made the same mistake...and I also feel that my attempts at quarantine made them worse. I think that newbies starting out with new systems should stick to only the hardiest (and least expensive!) fish in at least the first year of their set-up....damsels, some clowns, maybe a gramma....I never would have survived the first year of this hobby without them. Once you have an established, healthy tank, fish like dwarf angels are much easier to keep, and ich virtually disappears...

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
For safety shake or just peace of I mind, I will remove the star fish for you next time there.

All stars over there has been living with way smaller fish for years including chromis, clown gobies, and firefish. That's so sad they turn to possible killers when they change environment.

danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
wow! I never knew a starfish could eat a fish! Aren't they too slow? Even if the fish is asleep, surely they would have time to get away, right?

Gee, you learn something new every day. I'll never look at stars in the same way again!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: