anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I am up grading from a 42 high (which has been a total nightmare in cleaning) to a 40 breeder. I have a 20 gallon sump and I wanted to know if any one has any modified the skimmer. In regards to asking this I wanted to know if I can pvc the the pipe that is connection the power head to the skimmer. I would like to run a straight pvc pipe insted of the soft pvc tubing they provided me and for the return I wanted to take out the while thing and put pvc piping in its place and have a filter sock attached on the end to reduce bubbles. Any and All help is welcome. :iamwithst

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I owned this skimmer when I ran my 16g bowfront. I modified it intensely. It did help it to run a little better, but not enough to encourage me to keep it. I disposed of it very soon after doing the mods. I'm sorry, but this skimmer, with all the mods was not worth the money I paid for it. And that was on a very lightly stocked 16g. I wouldn't use it on anything larger than a 10g tank (lightly stocked).

If you want pictures of the mods, LMK and I'll post them.

swimmer

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

Corlaife SS are so underated is not funny, I rather use a coralife than a remora. I've used both and the dirt that the coralife super skimer pulls out is amazing... I will not lie is not the best but is not the worst...

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Mods on the CSS 65, you wanted them, you got'em :)

Drilled and tapped the collection cup for increased overflow:

4JGballvalveinskimmer.jpg

5JGballvalveinskimmercloseup.jpg

One gallon container for skimmate collection. The second tube coming up is just the vent to allow the flow into the container.

tubinginjugsideview.jpg

PVC Discharge Mod:

dischargepipewithholes.jpg

PVC with Foam from a Mag Drive Pump:

Foamondischarge.jpg

Installed and running:

topviewoffoam.jpg

Venturi mod (tubing takes very moist, humid air and sends it to the venturi to keep it clean (never needed cleaning)):

CSS65venturimod.jpg

Surface skimmer:

pvcalltogetheronpump.jpg

Surface skimmer running:

surfaceskimmertopdownshot.jpg

Hope this helps. As you can see, I did a number of mods on the CSS65 and still decided to get rid of it. It worked fair at best.

Best of luck,
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: